No announcement yet.

getting the AOD tranny beefed up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep in mind these prices are canadian...damn near double what it would cost me in the states.

I'm thinking of dropping the whole wide ratio kit, but doing all the rest which should get me pretty close to $2000 or so including the converter all-in-all.

This will be happening late july and i'm pretty pumped to get that done, then buildup the motor in august.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Update on tranny?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

well now that the motor has been built and is running good now, the tranny doesn't want no part in holding on during shifts so its finally got its turn coming up in 3 weeks for a build...which is looking like its going to run me close to $1500 all said and done plus tax.

-2400 stall non-lockup converter
        -Art Carr 1 peice input shaft
        -wide ratio gear set
        -red alto clutches
        -trans-go shift kit with 4th at WOT
        -OD "A" servo and 2" band
        -big-ass tranny cooler
        -governor mod to get close to 5500 rpm shifts

questions...

-how and where would i mount a tranny cooler and is thier a certain size/car model to get the cooler designed for or can i get a generic aftermarket one to put in... my AC is gone so could i mount it up thier?

-how does royal purple or comparable full synthetic tranny fluid look as a choice compared to the common cheeper fluids?
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
          well now that the motor has been built and is running good now, the tranny doesn't want no part in holding on during shifts so its finally got its turn coming up in 3 weeks for a build...which is looking like its going to run me close to $1500 all said and done plus tax.

-2400 stall non-lockup converter
          -Art Carr 1 piece input shaft
          -wide ratio gear set
          -red alto clutches
          -trans-go shift kit with 4th at WOT
          -OD "A" servo and 2" band
          -big-ass tranny cooler
          -governor mod to get close to 5500 rpm shifts

questions...

-how and where would i mount a tranny cooler and is thier a certain size/car model to get the cooler designed for or can i get a generic aftermarket one to put in... my AC is gone so could i mount it up thier?

-how does royal purple or comparable full synthetic tranny fluid look as a choice compared to the common cheeper fluids?
          1. Tranny cooler: Go as big as possible (24,000 GVW and up), and get a steel stacked-plate unit (B&M, for example). The aluminum coolers are garbage.

2. Go with at least a Mercon V, or go big. I used to be able to strain synthetic ATF through several paint filters....and reuse it, as it doesn't break down like regular garbage Dextron III, which has no lubricating properties. Right now, however, I don't have a car that I want to spend that kind of money on, lol.

3. A suggestion: Go with either a LenTech or Click-click-racing valve body, I don't trust a kitted-stock VB for anything right now. This is more money, but you get what you pay for.

Comment

I did the WR and regret it.

I run a huge B&M fluid cooler. The biggest one that summit had. It's almost a square foot and 1" thick. Probably want to toss a fan on it too, with the non lockup converter.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
              2. Go with at least a Mercon V, or go big. I used to be able to strain synthetic ATF through several paint filters....and reuse it, as it doesn't break down like regular garbage Dextron III, which has no lubricating properties.
              I've had great success with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

Comment

I did the WR and regret it.
                You regret doing the wide ratio swap?

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                  You regret doing the wide ratio swap?
                  That is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertB View Post
                    I've had great success with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.
                    That does seem to be decent stuff, from what I can tell. torquelover used to use it in the vehicle I acquired from him, so I sprang for some too when the tranny needed topping off. Expensive, but pretty sure it's still a lot cheaper than Amsoil ATF.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

why is it you don't like the WR?

Comment

I have no problems with my WR AOD. To be honest, it's not that much different to me. And the LenTech valve body certainly makes a very noticeable difference.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Well, you really need a good aftermarket VB if you want it to shift right. It shifts at odd points. I need to go with a bit less gear (which I'm doing). I do have to admit it's one hell of a tough trans.

Comment

Less gear? Especially with your biggish cam / small heads combo and high vehicle weight, I'd think it might enjoy more gear, not less.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                              Less gear? Especially with your biggish cam / small heads combo and high vehicle weight, I'd think it might enjoy more gear, not less.

Sure, I could go more, like 4.56-and run in 2nd.. But then the car will be worthless on the trip to and from the autocross or any other driving. And I would also have to deal with up/downshifting on the track. I'm not drag racing...And the car has plenty of power to powerslide all over the place as is, so a little less gear won't hurt me, since I want more MPH out of first gear. And I still have that M90 sitting on the shelf if I really need more power.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                                Some people are kind of lost on the need for a 'wide ratio' transmission. What these 302's really need is not a wide-ratio tranny, but an automatic with an extra low gear or two.....which is why the T5 5-speed works so well with these cars, you don't have a lot of rpm drop between shifts. It's better to run a lot shorter gear with a stock AOD than it is to space the gear ratios out even further....unless you've modified the engine to make more power above 4K rpm, and even then, I'm not a big fan of wide-ratio AOD's behind 302's.

If you've got a 351W, 4.6, or other engines? Well, then a wide-ratio tranny might work better.

Comment

Working...
                                X