No announcement yet.

getting the AOD tranny beefed up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why should a garden-variety 351W necessarily enjoy a wider operating range any more than a comparable 302?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      Why should a garden-variety 351W necessarily enjoy a wider operating range any more than a comparable 302?
      Because any decently-upgraded 351W has a broader torque range than any decently-upgraded 302.

Comment

I don't understand. Isn't it just as easy to build either displacement engine to operate happily over nearly any desired RPM range? Or is this statement based on some anecdotal evidence I don't know about?

Comment

It has something to do with the stroke. Longer stroke engines tend to have a wider torque curve where a short stroke engine is usually not going to fare as well. Thats why the 331 and 347 stroker engines are so popular.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

my 302 I just built up in the car has lots of power between 2800- to upwards of 5500, it definenlty has more torque than the LOPO under 2500 RPM's, but not an abundance more compared to the higher end power. So once I get past 1st gear its right in the powerband for the other shifts at WOT which is great... its just a case of making 1st more effective.

With a 2400 non-lockup stall, and wide ratio to get my 1st gear putting out more usable power to the wheels I think it would be a good setup, and the non-lockup in my 3rd shift would be handy to keep it from bogging...but thats just what i'm thinking, i've never done this before so your comments are much appreciated.
            Last edited by merc91; 10-02-2010, 04:07 PM.
            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I don't understand. Isn't it just as easy to build either displacement engine to operate happily over nearly any desired RPM range? Or is this statement based on some anecdotal evidence I don't know about?
              Mine is a unique case in what I am using the car for. I either have to go with less gear, a regular geared AOD, or a 5 speed. (or any combination of those) Each introduces more problems to the situation.

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
              my 302 I just built up in the car has lots of power between 2800- to upwards of 5500, it definenlty has more torque than the LOPO under 2500 RPM's, but not an abundance more compared to the higher end power. So once I get past 1st gear its right in the powerband for the other shifts at WOT which is great... its just a case of making 1st more effective.

With a 2400 non-lockup stall, and wide ratio to get my 1st gear putting out more usable power to the wheels I think it would be a good setup, and the non-lockup in my 3rd shift would be handy to keep it from bogging...but thats just what i'm thinking, i've never done this before so your comments are much appreciated.
              Mine bogs more on the 1-2 than the 2-3. Could be the VB I'm running. 1st just isn't very impressive, but a 50-60mph roll dropping to 2nd gear is damn impressive.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I still never got a ride in your car. Though I had the best view for the most bad ass power slide in the rain! I never got to ride in a HO (or better panther) and have the owner romp on it with me in it. I want that experience.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

my AOD-w has balls from hell off the line... but drops to it's knees at about 30-50 feet. Stock lopo. The lower 1st and that lopo torque heavy cam gives it some nose lifting spirit compared to the stock AOD it came with. At WOT though, it weenies out first gear well before the shift point and second kicks like a mule and really pours on. 3rd however doesn't run well but pulls decently. The shift kit the shop used is probably not the best, but it's a wonderful improvement over the stock valve body (it actually down shifts as you slow down instead of hanging in OD until you hit the gas and then down shift to whatever gear is needed). The 2-3 is too soon and the 4-3 is rather late though. but as DD, it does well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    Mine is a unique case in what I am using the car for. I either have to go with less gear, a regular geared AOD, or a 5 speed. (or any combination of those) Each introduces more problems to the situation.
                    True, true. Your particular concerns matter less for a vehicle not being autocrossed. Of course, your anecdotal evidence does seem to suggest that what works for AC does pretty well in terms of entertaining street performance as well.

But, I was actually meaning to needle Pirate, as he seemed to be claiming that a SBF of one stock displacement always has a wider powerband than the other.

Comment

But, I was actually meaning to needle Pirate, as he seemed to be claiming that a SBF of one stock displacement always has a wider powerband than the other.
                      Well, you failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                        Well, you failed.
                        Whether I failed or not is irrelevant; I don't see you bothering to clarify your obtuse statement.

Comment

Stop the bickering please. Any excess bickering will be deleted.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            Stop the bickering please. Any excess bickering will be deleted.
                            What 'excess' bickering? This particular bickering falls well within normal tolerance levels. 'Excess' bickering clearly begins whenever I start quoting Lincoln.

Whether I failed or not is irrelevant; I don't see you bothering to clarify your obtuse statement.
                            It's been my experience with both 302's and 351w's, that the 302 has been a bit peaky so far as power production is concerned (the modern EFI intakes allow this engine to 'cheat' with the torque production), with the 5.0 benefiting from a transmission with closer gear ratios....while most EFI 351w's (and warmed-over carbed 5.8's, as well) have more of a flat torque curve, which can take advantage of a wide-ratio gearset.

However you want to look at it, I think the AOD gear ratio should have stayed, as a car that stays closer to the HP and torque peaks accelerates faster (why CVT-style transmissions work so well....in theory), but it needs an additional, lower 1st gear to help it out of the hole....or just switch to a 5-speed.

Comment

Working...
                            X