No announcement yet.

T5 Time is Now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

computer doesn't enter learning mode unless it sees that sensor over some unremembered value. Basically the ECM expects it to be in the lower intake, so it really ought to be there.

Sucks about the C clip, but that would 'splain the horrible noises. I know its not really kosher, but I'd probably check compression and stuff and if all is well, run it. The only thing you're going to find if you remove the heads is dinks and dents in the pistons and maybe the heads, which really isnt anything you can fix short of replacing them. If its got a weak cylinder, probably a valve bent and that needs fixing. I dropped a washer down the intake of my VW, it made horrible noises for a minute then stopped. Some years later when I pulled the motor apart, there were obvious indents in shit where it bounced around but the motor ran just fine despite it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Man, I just went through the same asspain of relocating the IAT, though I'm not yet drilled and tapped. I was about to change my guess to pressure plate smacking the bellhousing, as it appears that that's what mine did for awhile. When I first did my T5 swap, I had a knocking that would go away if I put just a tiny bit of pressure on the clutch pedal, so I ignored it and it eventually worked itself out. Just today, when cleaning my bellhousing for reinstallation, I noticed a scuff mark that only the pressure plate could have left. Anyway, I once busted a ringland in my motor in Japan. It initially knocked horribly, then subsequentially shut up before I got to my destination. After the motor cooled, it knocked bad again until it got warm again. I got on it on my way back and was definitely down on power (this was 25% of my available pistons though, not 12.5% like you), so I figured I was pretty much fucked. It was quiet when I shut it down that night, then the next day stone cold it knocked like a sunofabitch. Now I doubt you lost a ringland from all this, but I did manage to score the block so I sourced a new one. The 1 piston was beat up pretty bad, and so was the combustion chamber. I do like gadget says and if it's quiet and shoots good compression, fuck it.
      1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Compression test good, 10-15% variation which is fine by me and my el-chepo compression tester. I'm not even sure what cylinder(s) ate it. So as far as I'm concerned, this never happened.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

What never happened?
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Now go beat on it before something happens lol..............
            Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
              Now go beat on it before something happens lol..............
              Oh I have, don't you worry.

The engine is fine as far as I can tell. Running great. I'm just glad I'm not actually crazy. Trust me when I said that thing sounded like it was going to throw a rod. Like all good mysteries I solved it completely on accident. When I went to put the airbox back on I'm like "why is this IAT so loose? Oh shit."

So now not only has this engine overheated very badly, it has also digested a nice piece of metal. Neither of which seemed to have had any affect on it.

Now I just need to wait and see how long it takes to kill the T5.
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                Now I just need to wait and see how long it takes to kill the T5.
                Need to get it to the track first

Very cool car!

Comment

Update? I've been driving the car everyday for over a month now. Been driving great. Took it to Toronto and back yesterday, and it did fine. I seem to have gained 2-3mpg but have also been driving like an asshole as well. A mass air swap and tune would probably do wonders. Besides for buying quite possibly the worlds nosiest t5, it's been great as well, shifts like butter. The snapring/c-clip the engine ate and spit out certainly doesn't seem like it had an effect on anything other than making me freak out. The new exhaust really woke this thing up. Punching it at any speed in first results in the rear tires just roasting away. Everyone that's seen it seems to love it. All in all, I'd recommend this swap to anyone looking to add some more fun to their car (yes I'm trying really hard not to put a 5sp in either of the wagons as well). And I didn't forget about the write up I promised, expect that soon, even though looking back at it this swap isn't hard at all, the pedal assembly is the biggest hurdle, and if you mess it up (like I did) a little creative work is all that's needed when running the clutch cable.

Comment

Looking forward to the write up. I am waiting to sticky-fie it.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So has anyone ever put a Tremec TKO in a box before, or will I be the first one?

And no, it's not for the 89

Comment

I've thought about snatching the tko from my capri for the blue wagon....Iirc, I had to relocate the trans x-member & use a different shift fork when replacing the t-5 in the capri. It also required a different yoke & clutch disc.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

...and a new shifter...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

At least I'll be starting from scratch. I just want something I'll never need to worry about blowing up. Especially in a 4k pound wagon.

Comment

After doing some research, I'm really tempted to buy this.
                              Sounds like it could take whatever I throw at it. Possibly a hydraulic clutch this time around as well.
                              Pretty much everything that needs modding for a mustang already needs modding in panther already. Sounds like the driveshaft may be the biggest hurdle.

Even though I did just put a nice WR-AOD with a Lentach valve body in it last year, and have a twin to that transmission sitting on the floor next to it, the idea of a 5sp wagon is too good to pass up.

Although first it needs an engine.

Comment

You ever make it to the track with this thing? Any updates?

Comment

Working...
                                X