No announcement yet.

T5 Time is Now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

axle hope is an issue with a lopo auto. my 88 can attest to that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My axle hop went away with the speedway springs, police style shocks, and energy suspension bushings. I highly recommend doing that before you break something.
      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
      sigpic

Comment

What is a TKO tranny?
        Jay
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yeah, I was also thinking that the suspension is likely wonky or too mushy if axle hop is a concern. I have no trouble with mine using stock springs, stock type shocks and poly bushings. It wasn't really a problem even with the dead stock bushings, though axle location sucked and the car was not the most stable.

a TKO is a Tremec 5 speed thats intended to be used in hot rod builds.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            Axle hop is definitely now an issue
            Put an open diff in, problem solved.

What shift handle is that? That might actually work in my car.
            1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              hot diggity.

is it up and running? it's the 89 HPP box, right?
              Yes and yes.

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
              Oh god yes! I think that may be the first interior in a Crown Vic (not other panther) I'd swap mine out for. It just looks so right.
              Why thank you kind sir.
              Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              you did a great job, it looks like it belongs there. if I had a second Panther, a manual swap might be in the works.

you ought to take the car to a scale.
              I personally don't think it looks out of place at all. It feels really natural.
              Originally posted by johnunit View Post
              I doubt it was intentional, but I also like the little detail that this appears to be a 2 person front seat. It eliminates the subtle awkwardness of having a stick right where the knees of one of the passengers could be.
              Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Those are Towncar Signature blue leather seats. They're 3 person if you flip the armrest up, like they are in the pics. It would be awful damn uncomfortable for the middle person since the seat is shaped the way it is, but you can stick someone up there.

Looks good, though I'd personally want a console or something around the shifter. I really think thats why I've never taken to the idea of a 5 speed in these. It just doesn't quite look like it belongs there.
              That would be the most uncomfortable ass raping seat ever in the middle.

Personally, I really hate consoles. And really like the look of just a shifter through the floor. If it was up to me every car ever would come with bench seats, center consoles not allowed. Especially with a split bench, then it just looks really ugly. I guess maybe if I had those police seats, but that would require giving up my pillow tops which just isn't ever going to happen. (Unless I can find a mint non-leather set)
              Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              Some early model fox mustangs came with an option to delete the center console. What was left was a neat trim piece to house the shifter guts.

I like the way it looks either way. Damn cool.
              Thanks. That delete piece looks.... odd.
              Originally posted by slymer View Post
              axle hope is an issue with a lopo auto. my 88 can attest to that.
              Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
              My axle hop went away with the speedway springs, police style shocks, and energy suspension bushings. I highly recommend doing that before you break something.
              Already has all speedway springs and p71 shocks. Although no poly bushings out back, only up front.
              Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              yeah, I was also thinking that the suspension is likely wonky or too mushy if axle hop is a concern. I have no trouble with mine using stock springs, stock type shocks and poly bushings. It wasn't really a problem even with the dead stock bushings, though axle location sucked and the car was not the most stable.
              Mushy would probably be the exact opposite word I'd use to describe this cars suspension. It literally has no body roll, no bounce, no nothing. It's essentially just on rails. It olny happened once when I decided to drop the clutch from 3k just to see what would happen. What happened was a large smile on my face.

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
              Put an open diff in, problem solved.

What shift handle is that? That might actually work in my car.
              8" Hurst? or maybe it was a 10". Either way it is perfect.

Story time?

So I've put about 150 miles on it so far. Drove it to work the past few days, drove it all around town, generally just driving it normally. Like I said, it feels surprisingly natural. The shifter is in the perfect location, right in line with the armrest. Nice and comfortable.

The clutch took a little getting used to as I've only driven a few vehicles without hydraulic clutches. It's a bit stiffer than I'm used to, but I'm already completely used to it. I have it adjusted so it disengages within the first 1" or so, with an inch or two of travel below it. I like it like this just fine. It sits a touch higher than the brake pedal.

The Husrt shifter is really nice. No slop or anything.

The tranny itself is really my only concern. 5th is a little noisy for my taste. All the gears shift smooth as butter though, so I guess that's a plus. I'm probably going to pull it back out and rebuild it in due time. A full Ford Racing rebuild kit is $270, plus I have to see if the gears themselves are fine. (I have a feeling fifth is going to be on the thin side) Not a huge concern right now, but it will need attention sooner than later.

Next up is upgrading the fuel pump and finally redoing the stock horrid exhaust. That may be this weekend's project.

As for performance, I really haven't beat on it that hard yet so I can't say. Nor can I comment on fuel economy or anything else yet. The only thing I can say so far is the fun to drive factor has increased ten-fold.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

All I can say is way cool. I have changed a couple of cars to sticks and sure would like to do that to my wagon. Good show man.

The ones that I did had a factory option for stick so they were easy conversions. An Opel GT and a BMW 2800. back in the day.

Jay
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

And so ends the saga of the 89. Noticed when I got to work today the engine sounded a wee bit louder then usual, but thought nothing of it. Then when I went to leave, the thing was knocking like a bitch. Made it home and dear lord that poor engine is so mad. One of the rod bearings is done for sure. Thing is I've been babying it the last couple days just because 5th is noisy. But instead the engine decided it wanted to die. Maybe it just wanted to stay an automatic.

So now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I could pull the engine out of my 91 marq and just use that short block, it was super quiet and only has about 95K on it. I have a good 302 just laying around as well, maybe I'll take that and get it machined. Or maybe throw a 331 in it. Either way I'm disappointed to say the least, the engine was the last thing I ever expected to go on this car.

At least the 235K mile lopo in the battle wagon still runs like a fucking champ, and I beat the ever living piss out of that car every day of the week.
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

That sucks. Perfect excuse for a 331 though.
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I'm honestly seriously thinking about putting the bastard block 4.6 out of my 92 in it.

Comment

well your T5 would be good to go, so why not? if it runs good and you foresee it running good for a while to come, do it!
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

oh god no, not one of those modular catastrophes.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

that sucks. Maybe you get lucky and it just needs new bearings thrown in?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              I'm honestly seriously thinking about putting the bastard block 4.6 out of my 92 in it.
                              Only if you get rid of those god awful cylinder heads...
                              Also, you'll need a different driveshaft and trans mount.

Comment

That blows....mmmmm blows?!.....catch my drift?
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X