No announcement yet.

T5 Time is Now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy transmission are junk if they have od. My 700r4 would blow the pump seal everytime I thought about towing something.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

The 4L60E in my heavy Suburban holds up to hauling. And 700-R4/200-4R can be built to handle anything, just like a Ford AOD can. The 4L80E is bulletproof, it's like a TH400 but with an OD.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

4L60E>700R4, just because the later ones got updates. The 700R4/4L60E can be built to handle anything. . . except boost. They're totally hit and miss, even the built ones, when you boost a big, fat assed truck. The 80E swap isn't something I'm looking forward to, but it's going to be a necessary evil for me to tow in OD with a blower.
        1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          I bet it's the OD band with the chainsaw teeth needing to be replaced... or the OD solenoid getting weak (maybe both) that's causing the grinding during engagement. needing to rebuild my trans (soft parts) and since it was going to be open... and I had the funds at the time (this is on my 88) I had them put in the HD stuff for the OD and wide range gears. I still need a valve body that is made for wide range gears... but under normal driving (ie: not hammering it everywhere) you'd never really know except for the big RPM drop into 3rd (as is the norm on wide range setups from my experience).
          Overdrive Solenoid? In an AOD (stock)? What?

Big RPM drop into 3rd? Sounds like a stock AOD to me. 3rd gear, the engine just drops down ridiculously. Bwahhhhhhh...

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            Overdrive Solenoid? In an AOD (stock)? What?

Big RPM drop into 3rd? Sounds like a stock AOD to me. 3rd gear, the engine just drops down ridiculously. Bwahhhhhhh...
            yes... there's a solenoid that engaged the OD band. I don't know if it's mechanical or hydraulic... but it's there (read up on the A solenoid BS... the associated band is twice or better as wide as the stock one... hella more durable).

and yes... the drop is even worse on the wide range gears.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
              4L60E>700R4, just because the later ones got updates. The 700R4/4L60E can be built to handle anything. . . except boost.
              I broke a planetary set in a 4L60E by backing out of my driveway with my dead stock V6 S10. They're f'n expensive to have rebuilt too, more than an AOD. Of course when the only thing that is usable from the entire trans is the actual case, things tend to get pricey. I probably would have been better off pulling a junkyard trans and having it rebuilt.

Half of the drop in RPM on a 2-3 shift with an AOD is because the trans goes into lockup. The torque converter is bypassed in 3 and OD, so you get a gear change and a lockup at the same time. Stuff with the torque converter clutch doesn't have as drastic a change since it usually does not lock up until after you hit overdrive.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post

and yes... the drop is even worse on the wide range gears.
                I've noticed this with both the wide ratio AOD's in my 89 and 87. The 91 with it's rebuild stock AOD on the other hand, is much less noticeable.

And how did we get to talking about GM tranny's?

Anyways, bought some stuff tonight.

T5 is out of an 87GT. Supposedly shifted fine when it was in a car, shifts fine by hand, fluid looks brand new. Bellhousing and shift fork, resurfaced flywheel, and a Ford Racing clutch, billet aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster, new clutch cable, and pedal assembly out of a 84GT. All for $550. Decent deal?
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I think you could have done worse.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Why are you posting and not installing?
                    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

He still needs to weld in the pivot tube for the clutch pedal into his stock pedal assembly.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Lame.

Comment

Hard to see in pic on phone, the flywheel doesn't look surfaced...Also didn't '84's have smaller clutch\fly assys?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                            Hard to see in pic on phone, the flywheel doesn't look surfaced...Also didn't '84's have smaller clutch\fly assys?
                            He only has an 84 pedal assembly. Rest of the goods are from an 87.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Cool

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
                                Why are you posting and not installing?
                                I wouldn't have time to finish it all before the snow hits anyways, so I'm in no huge rush. Just want to enjoy the car as-is for the last few decent weather weeks around here.
                                Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                He still needs to weld in the pivot tube for the clutch pedal into his stock pedal assembly.
                                Yep, I think I'll stop to the yard this weekend and see if I can find any pre 90 panthers. Then I can simply swap pedal assemblies when the time comes.

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                                Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                He only has an 84 pedal assembly. Rest of the goods are from an 87.
                                Correct, everything is from an 87 besides the pedals. I was talking to the guy about what I was doing, and mentioned all I really have left to find is the pedal assembly, he pointed at this 84 and said "there you go".

Everything has been sitting for a little bit, hence why it probably doesn't look resurfaced (no surface rust or anything, just grimy and dirty.)
                                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                                X