Running R-134 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running R-134 question

Assume the outside temp is apx 80 degrees with some humidity. With a car traveling at 55 to 60 what would you say the range of cold air coming out of the vents should be?

Now consider that this past Sunday while motor-vating on the Long Island Expressway I discovered the air out of my vents was 70 degrees, obviously..........some portion of the 134 leaked out. I stopped at an Advance Auto Parts store and picked up one can of 134. Why only one can?............well as I did not have any gauges with me, there was no way to determine how much 134 I was down. So ok, the car takes the entire can, and in short order I find myself back on the LIE. After getting up to speed the temps out of the vents was now between 45-50 degrees.........this with the outside temps as I mentioned around 80 with moderate humidity. All things being equal, in a proper no leak system running 134, what should the the range typically be? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Depends on many factors besides temps. 45-50 is not terrible but I'd like to see it almost 10 degrees colder. Do you at least have a gauge to put on the low side to check it's pressure with the car running? This is NOT the correct way to do things but it is the "quick and dirty" way to do so! Many cans do come with such a gauge to perform this test. At least you have SOME sort of idea what is happening. Has it been coming out warm for some time or did it just happen? If it just happened you have a big leak and need repairs. If it gets warmer over a long period of time, it may be a small leak (no system is completely sealed as some refrigerant/oil leaks from the compressor seal to keep it lubricated). The answers to those questions will tell you what needs to be done next!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Frank, to be "frank" I have known for a number of years that the compressor does leak, but I was loath to spend the money for a new one and a receiver dryer. I do have a gauge, but.........its out on Long Island in the garage housing the Studebaker. Three years ago I spent almost 1500 dollars for a new York compressor and R/D for my Avanti.........even that was "stupid" as the car is seldom utilized in the heat of the summer......I guess I could add an additional 1/2 can of 134, but knowing me SHIT WILL HAPPEN.

Comment

As I mentioned, at least get a can of R134a that has it's own gauge to put on the low side fitting. Then you can see what the current pressure is and if it needs any more refrigerant. Like I said, NOT the right way but better than putting in too much and then you will REALLY start blowing seals and can ruin the compressor.

Comment

I’d need to get my vent thermometer out from wherever I stashed it at, but I think my vent temperatures in the ‘87 are in the 30s or so, but that’s also using a shutoff to the heater core, or it would run several degrees warmer.

That car with the shutoff gets cold. I’d argue maybe colder than the ‘97 can manage.

45-50 degrees at speed like said before, not great, not terrible.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I can get about 38F out of my R134a systems. 42-45 on the hottest days.

We have an Ford Escape that gets colder than that but it also freezes the evaporator (we took it to the dealer when it was new, they kept it two weeks, and finally Ford advised the the dealer only max A/C was to be used, and this was normal.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I average about 48F on 95F days out of my vents IIRC. One problem could be a blown out orifice valve not restricting flow to get proper cooling in the evaporator. Low refrigerant would also do this as the compressor will short cycle and not make much liquid to get much cooling in the evaporator.
              +1 get one of those cans with a gauge on it to make sure the system is indeed low before putting more in. A blend door issue can also cause this problem.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

if you aren't getting at least a 30 degree drop its not working right, 40 degree drop is more typical. I get right at 40 from the Continental and that has a smaller condenser. The Towncar is more like 45 degrees.

the problem with refrigerant is that low charge and overcharge both raise the vent temperatures in these things, so without knowing the pressures its a complete crapshoot whats going on.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                  I’d need to get my vent thermometer out from wherever I stashed it at, but I think my vent temperatures in the ‘87 are in the 30s or so, but that’s also using a shutoff to the heater core, or it would run several degrees warmer.

That car with the shutoff gets cold. I’d argue maybe colder than the ‘97 can manage.

45-50 degrees at speed like said before, not great, not terrible.
                  Wolf, I was not aware that cars with 134 could actually get down to the low 30's?????????? Back in 1997 when I drove the car out to So. Bend, Indiana for the national Studebaker show, the a/c crapped out...........it was in the high 80's..............could not wait to get back to NYC for the repair................I swallowed hard and brought the car to Jordan Ford-Lincoln-Mercury. yes they bent me over...............a re-man compressor, receiver dryer and change over from R12 to R134. I left with a bill for as I remember $1,500.00. Point???? Even then as I remember the air out the vents was not in the 30's......but in the very low 40's..........the SOBs never put "O" rings in the line and as a result, after driving back to NYC, the majority of R134 leaked out..............fortunately I knew the service manager at Manhattan Ford and he put in the "O" rings.........and the money I had to put out, I had American Express deduct from the $1500.........which they did as they agreed with me about the faulty repair.
                  Last edited by Toploader; 06-29-2023, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    I average about 48F on 95F days out of my vents IIRC. One problem could be a blown out orifice valve not restricting flow to get proper cooling in the evaporator. Low refrigerant would also do this as the compressor will short cycle and not make much liquid to get much cooling in the evaporator.
                    +1 get one of those cans with a gauge on it to make sure the system is indeed low before putting more in. A blend door issue can also cause this problem.
                    Sly I actually found (which I did not know I had, or forgot) one of the hoses that has a gauge attached. As I do have another 3 cans of 134 in my closet, I will get out to the car and utilize the hose and gauge and see if the car will take another half can of 134. This may be an exercise in futility, as I know the compressor does leak, and will require additional cans when required.

Comment

Had the car since at least 1993, wow. We need a thread with a photo timeline of it through the past to the present, preferably with stories to accentuate things.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        Had the car since at least 1993, wow. We need a thread with a photo timeline of it through the past to the present, preferably with stories to accentuate things.
                        LOL yes maybe 1991 0r 1992 I have to check. It took me years to find a Tudor, when I would see one I would leave a note on the windshield that I wanted to buy the car........I also restored a 1967 Gal 500 in 1979, white body and red top boy was that car gorgeous.............the streets of NYC killed it, pulled the plates and had the city tow it away........a very sad day indeed.I will try and post picture of the '67

Comment

Latest update...............with the infusion of one additional can of 134, the temps out of the vents are now just about 40 degrees, the gauge did not function properly so I do not know the specific pounds on the low side. Suffice it to say this is all the 134 that will infused, I can more than live with 40 degrees

Comment

Was just told that 134 will no longer be manufactured after January 2024. Guess its time to stock up like I did with R12 for the Stude;-)

Comment

40 degrees should be fine as long as it stays that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X