Running R-134 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    There isn't anything magic about the coffee can, it just needs to be a vacuum reservoir. Anything will do, the later ones are plastic, its the part where the relays sit. I'd probably go that route instead of the stock metal can if looks aren't a priority. Plastic will never rust like the steel does. Wander the junkyard and grab something from whatever you find.
    The aftermarket ones (like Dorman and not sure anyone else makes one) "seems" to be smaller, in volume. If this is so, I wonder if and how much this affects fan speeds?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

The only time the vacuum can possibly affect fan speed is in auto mode. What normally happens is the air moves to defrost. The fan doesn't slow down but it stops blowing in your face. It also shifts to hot when this happens.

The non-ATC cars have one half the size as the ATC cars. If the system isn't stupidly leaky it will work fine with any reservoir that works. if it is leaky, fix it. They are never going to be completely tight but if you pump the thing up to 18 inches or so and its still above 10 after a few minutes I don't think you'll have problems.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The shifts in fan speed happen on acceleration and with the fan speed on fastest mode. By the way, it is a ATC car.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          The only time the vacuum can possibly affect fan speed is in auto mode. What normally happens is the air moves to defrost. The fan doesn't slow down but it stops blowing in your face. It also shifts to hot when this happens.

The non-ATC cars have one half the size as the ATC cars. If the system isn't stupidly leaky it will work fine with any reservoir that works. if it is leaky, fix it. They are never going to be completely tight but if you pump the thing up to 18 inches or so and its still above 10 after a few minutes I don't think you'll have problems.
          Thain, not on my '86 MGM with ATC. Every time I would feed gas the blower motor would either slow down or go off completely. Long story short, the bottom of the coffee can was rotted around the seams, and the vac tree on the dash was leaking. After I replaced both no longer a problem.

Comment

Would not mind getting a non leaky coffee can myself. Have to test my friend's with a vacuum tester to see if it leaks. I found no line leaks so that is the only thing left!

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post

Thain, not on my '86 MGM with ATC. Every time I would feed gas the blower motor would either slow down or go off completely. Long story short, the bottom of the coffee can was rotted around the seams, and the vac tree on the dash was leaking. After I replaced both no longer a problem.
              Was the vac tree itself leaking or one of the lines going in or coming out?

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post

Was the vac tree itself leaking or one of the lines going in or coming out?
                No, the plastic device was found to not be able to hold vac.

Comment

Would not mind getting a non leaky coffee can myself. Have to test my friend's with a vacuum tester to see if it leaks. I found no line leaks so that is the only thing left!
                  I found original cans down in Arizona via e-bay.

Comment

No, the plastic device was found to not be able to hold vac.
                    The vac tree is still available?

Comment

I assume you are NOT talking about the black check valve but the yellow plastic tee?

Comment

The vac tree is still available?
                        I do not think so, do you need the p'n?

Comment

Wait a min, I only purchased the small vac piece that attaches to the tree

Comment

Wait a min, I only purchased the small vac piece that attaches to the tree
                            Seems you are referring to the check valve that looks like this.

Attached Files

Comment

Seems you are referring to the check valve that looks like this.
                              BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dat be it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P/N????

Comment

Btw, I went through three of these that claimed to be NOS..............only one was good;-(

Comment

Working...
                                X