No announcement yet.

Ac Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mine just has whatever the parts store carries, probably a Hayden, seems to work ifne
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’m going to go with the Hayden regular duty. It seems like that’s the only one available now.

Comment

There are numerous heavy duty clutches for F150 and mustang 5.0. They are marked reverse rotation. Is the HO motor reverse rotation from the regular LOPO? It has been a while for me now.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Mustang yes, F150 I’m not sure.

Comment

probably both then.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Looking more into it it looks like both use reverse rotation water pumps.

Comment

I installed the Hayden standard duty fan clutch on the 90 MGM today. I had hoped it would help with my ac issue but it did not. Shocker. Anyway, I took some head pressure readings and added a bit since the low side was a bit low. At about 83* ambient temp I’m getting 45 psi low side and 250 psi high side. Discharge temp is about 60*. Is this the best I’m going to get with atc? Also, as soon as I start driving the discharge temp drops to the 50’s then 40’s if I keep moving. I’m thinking it’s still an airflow issue but those head pressures would suggest otherwise. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                  I installed the Hayden standard duty fan clutch on the 90 MGM today. I had hoped it would help with my ac issue but it did not. Shocker. Anyway, I took some head pressure readings and added a bit since the low side was a bit low. At about 83* ambient temp I’m getting 45 psi low side and 250 psi high side. Discharge temp is about 60*. Is this the best I’m going to get with atc? Also, as soon as I start driving the discharge temp drops to the 50’s then 40’s if I keep moving. I’m thinking it’s still an airflow issue but those head pressures would suggest otherwise. Any ideas?
                  Condenser clean? It will always be cooler when moving as opposed to idling. Pressures sound ok but I don't remember what else you changed. Air flow could be the issue.
                  What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                  What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post

Condenser clean? It will always be cooler when moving as opposed to idling. Pressures sound ok but I don't remember what else you changed. Air flow could be the issue.
                    I used a garden hose a bit ago to clean it out. Other than that, I really haven’t done anything, I’ve really just been diagnosing other issues. I’m thinking of installing a pusher fan. I have a 12” pusher fan at my parents house I could install. Would it restrict airflow while moving? I’d probably offset it so it would push air from one side or the other instead of the center where the mechanical fan is pulling in the most air.

Comment

I'm no expert but I think your pressures are a tad high. What rpm is the engine at for those? How often does the compressor cycle?

My 90 blows 32 degrees and freezes the evaporator because it's a little too low on charge. I wonder if you have the opposite problem.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

ATC doesn't have much to do with it, provided the blend door is full over to cold. The normal ATC failure is the other way, when you want it hot it won't shut the vacuum off and give decent heat. I suspect this isn't the case here, if you weren't getting good airflow across the evaporator, the pressures would be low because there isn't much heat load on the system.

Since it works better when moving that sounds like airflow or just an inefficient condenser. The old style do not work as well as the newer multi-pass style, and R134a is not as efficient as R12 was, so the condenser tends to be the bottleneck in the system. A replacement parallel flow condenser should improve the situation, short of that, maybe get yourself some coil cleaner and give it a good wash.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’m going to try some coil cleaner but I don’t think it’s going to help much. I’m also not convinced a newer style condensor would do anything either as my 87 has a used condensor from a late 80s town car in it and it’ll freeze you out. This one, the head pressure is fine for being 90*+ degrees outside. But what has me is that once I start driving the temps drop too so maybe it’s undercharged slightly. So if the amount was correct, I’d have high head pressures which would indicate an airflow issue.

Tiggie, it idles on the high side maybe 700-800 maybe a bit higher. And no it doesn’t cycle.

Comment

Working...
                          X