Trailer Module or Trailer Relays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Module or Trailer Relays?

Doing a little work on the '87 right now to get it properly setup to haul a trailer, and one of those steps is to ensure trailer lighting is working correctly. I'm a fan of taking the lighting load off of the vehicle circuitry and passing it to a "standalone" system.

Now my car was not originally a outfitted trailer wiring car, so it lacks the four relays that were present on such models. Effectively there were four electromechanical relays present to run the left/right turn signals, running lights, and a battery charging circuit. The latter I'm unconcerned with as I dunno how comfortable I am with a 30 or 40 amp lead just running through the car like that to a 7 pin trailer socket. Regardless, I'm not sure what style relay was used at the time, but a standard Bosch cube style relay would work in this application if I opted to set things up similar to factory.

The other option is to use a modern trailer light module of solid state nature that takes the load off of the vehicle circuit. Just like the electromechanical setup, it takes the load from the vehicle circuitry.

Both of these setups use a dedicated power lead to power the system, so the input from the vehicle circuitry is just a signal to drive the output.

Given the choice of the OE style electromechanical setup or the aftermarket solid state setup, which would you opt to use in this scenario?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

original relays were the usual Ford type of the era, a Bosch would be the sensible equivalent.

Unless you have trailer brakes with an on-board battery the charging circuit isn't going to do you any good anyway.

Only reason I might go for relays is they tend to be very serviceable. Not much to fail, and if one does fail its 8 bucks or something for a replacement. No idea whats in that module but I suspect its a "buy a new one" situation if something happens.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 relays. That's what I used. It's not much more wiring either.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I used a trailer light power module. I have never used it so I cannot comment on its performance other then my initial testing of the 4 flat plug ensuring everything functions as it should. I prefer the idea of the individual relays though because of Thains' reasoning.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...=1#post1183843
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Well good deal then. Looks like I'll see to doing the relay setup install in the next few days. Thanks y'all.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
          X