Headlight issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight issues

I have been having sporatic problems with the headlights on my 87 lately. the lowbeams kinda come and go whenever they want to. I replaced the multi-function switch in the previous years due to a brake light issue. I'm looking at the headlight system diagram and im thinking its the multi-function switch again. I had to rig the lever to have lights. with the switch rigged and engaging the high beams all 4 lights were on. I disconnected the inner high onlys so I wouldnt blind anyone.

it looks like the power comes from 2 sources
    1- from the headlight switch
    2- secondary source (passing beam)

im thinking the high/low part of the switch is faulty and that I was only getting the passing beam source power from the switch.

obviously my grounds are good. all 4 lights worked.

I added the diagram im talking about, its the lower half of the scan. you might have to zoom in on it to see the 2 switches within the multifunction switch im talking about.

I suppose I could disable the power coming from the passing beam (via fuse) and pull the headlights on, if i still get highbeams maybe is just the headlight switch itself. I do get parking lights though. Lemme know whatcha all think.
    Attached Files
    1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Well I called around today to the parts stores looking for the multi-function switch.

32.99 at autozone

only store that had it. same store the one im replacing came from . no warrenty on this one neather.

installed it in prob 10mins. it was half disassembled because of last night. the new one appears to be of the same design as the last one with the lever just being pushed and locked into place. no removing pins to get the lever in or out.

headlights are working fine now. highbeams click with the lever and stay on now. apparently the switch mechanicals wore out in my old switch.

running home with just the outside duel beams on was actually quite nice. no one flashing that I was blinding them and I could actually see the road and such. I'm def upgrading to the headlight relay system asap!
    1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

you talking about the high beam/turn switch???

The headlight switches go bad as well... also can melt the connectors, luckily replacements come easy. You can also re-wire your headlights with relays to take this damaging load off the headlight switch.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

im talking about the turn signal/hazard/highbeam lever. (multifunction switch)

unfortunately you are correct about there being alot of power going threw the headlight switch as well as the multifunction switch. luckily I havent had to replace neather switch due to electrical failure or (short). both times now that the switch has been replaced was due to actual mechanical switch failures (plastic breakage)

The original one the turn signal portion failed to retract after a turn and broke after turning the wheel back to center. Thus causing brake light/ hazard operation failure a short time later.

The aftermarket replacement, that I just replaced today failed because the high beam actuator of the switch wore out and no longer was retracting. (kinda stuck in the middle) The reason why I was still able to have highbeams while pulling back on the lever.

I never did try disconnecting the second source of power. It would have taken longer for me to locate which fuse was the secondary source then it took me to unplug the two wiring harness plugs and plug in the new switch to see if it worked.

The diagram for a 88 which I was using shows 2 possible sources for highbeam operation. 1 being fed when the headlight switch is ON and a secondary which allows highbeam operation with out the headlight switch on. I am unsure if both sources are fused on the same circuit. But it does show different color coded wires.

If you were to disable the power for the secondary source and you still had highbeams with the headlight switch on. Then you have a bad multi-function switch.

If when you disable the secondary source and the headlight switch is on and you dont have highbeams or lowbeams or anything. Then chances are you prob have a bad headlight switch. but it could be a no power issue.

those steps are based on the 88 diagram listed in the above post. 89MY shows both sources seperately fused. I would assume the circuits are pretty much the same in older and newer panthers. of course with the intergration of DRL and delayed exit lighting being tied in if you have those options.

Comment

I did the relay thing on mine just to prevent that from happening. My MF switch is a used one from an 84 Towncar that I installed when the tabs that lock the blinker on till the wheel is turned snapped off and the blinkers would only stay on if I held the lever.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

is the multi function switch hard to replace? cause i think thats wut i need to replace on my 87 grand marquie. i replaced my headlight switch itself. but that didnt fix the problem. with the switch on all i have is flash to pass. any suggestions or can you tell me how to fix this problem. cause im getting tired of having to make sure im home by dark or using someone elses car if i need something after dark.

Comment

yeah those headlight switches go bad over time. When I replaced it the connector was a little melted

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

dont buy cheap multifunction switches

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Does anyone have a link to a good write up on adding relays to the headlight system? I have to add them to the 68'.
                  -Matt
                  1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I bought the whole "relayed" harness for H4 bulbs (will work with sealed beams) from summit for $35. I'm not sure if they still carry it though. It takes no time to install (or build), and may be cheaper once you factor in materials and time.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by kracker055 View Post
                        is the multi function switch hard to replace? cause i think thats wut i need to replace on my 87 grand marquie. i replaced my headlight switch itself. but that didnt fix the problem. with the switch on all i have is flash to pass. any suggestions or can you tell me how to fix this problem. cause im getting tired of having to make sure im home by dark or using someone elses car if i need something after dark.
                        2 screws and 2 plugs I think. Hardest part is removing the plastic shrouds from around the steering column, and that isn't all that bad.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

set the parking brake on the car, undo the 6 or so screws from the steering column covers and you will need to tilt wheel up to get lower off and than tilt wheel down and move shifter down to make it easier to remove the top cover of steering column. ... here is a pic of the 2 screws that you remove to pull out the signal switch.... blue arrows are 2 screws to remove and red line is how big the switch is. yellow arrows point at the harness/plugs that connect to the signal switch.... sorry for messiy drawing... the 2 scres that are used to remove the switch have same type of heads on them as what is used on the EFI intake plates thate say 5.0 on them.
                          Attached Files
                          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                          X