No announcement yet.

3G page is up - need more info, pics, tips, and suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O.K., I'm going to throw something out here for shits and giggles. If you're going to do a 3g swap, why not upgrade to a 4 or 6g alternator? Would that be better, or not make a difference?
    MIKE

Comment

I dont think either of those will bolt up quite as easy... and the 3G does more than enough for even above average needs.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I got my 3G installed today. Man what a difference. No more dimming lights, or radio cutting out. I ran into some snags though. The top bolt hole for the alternator wasn't threaded, and was too big for my original bolt. Had to go to the hardware store and pick up a bolt and nut. Since my bracket wouldn't allow a bigger bolt. I also ran into a problem on the bottom of the alternator. I had to drill the hole out to allow my bolt to go through it. Had a little trouble with getting the belt on the pulley. The pulley on the 3G was the same size as my new 2G, I had trouble with that one too. Original ones are a smaller diameter than the 3G ones. I had to push the alternator down as far as it could go. Then I managed to slip the belt over the ridge. And tighten it up. I also managed to pull the charge wire from the Taurus I used, and the 175 amp fuse as well. I attached the charge cable to the fuse on the passenger side fender well and the fuse to another cable that I attached to the battery terminal. I kept the 2G wiring in tact though. Just in case I might need it. Will have pics tomorrow.

Comment

If you could get one that has the correct bracket spacing, it might be an interesting upgrade path but I don't know what application would physically fit in there. The 3g is commonly done just because the parts are easy to get and it fits with little effort. I think the 4g has more current and electrically its compatible with the 2g and 3g wiring, no idea what the 6g is like.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Forgive my shitty pictures, but here's my 3G installed.

Note the pulley diameter difference. It makes it a little harder to get the belt over the pulley, but it's doable.

In the back, there's the yellow charge wire. This wire I harvested from a Ford Taurus at the junkyard. Under the yellow cable is the orange/light blue wire from the regulator plug. With a loop butt connector, I could easily attach that wire to the output stud. I spliced the green wire to the new regulator plug. The white/black wire from the regulator plug attaches to the single plug next to the regulator plug (stator wire) I took the regulator harness from the taurus since there was a nice little pigtail for the stator wire.

I ran my charge wire behind the distributor,

and under the ac compressor.

I ran the charge wire behind the smog stuff. You can see the 175 amp fuse I also harvested from the Taurus on the inner fenderwell.

Here is a close up of it. The black wire is a wire I bought at Autozone, ran me about 6 bucks.

I ran it directly to the battery terminal, since the starter solenoid was so cluttered with wires. Also refer to my other post about me having some bolting issues. Nothing too serious, just a warning before you get upset about the alternator giving you some issues on installation.

Comment

Well guys, I'm on my way to doing the swap. Station Auto Parts, in Port Jefferson, Long Island, has the 130 amp for a 95 5.0 Stang for $110. (My price ). Thanks to some E-450 junk busses in the yard, I have ALL my wiring right here .The alt is a remnned unit, and they're taking the 2g for the core. I will be using the 2g pulley, which is literally a 1 minute swap (gotta love an impact wrench, and a 15/16 impact socket). For my own consideration, I'm going to check the output of the 2g, with no load, and a full load, and then do the same with the 3g installed to see what the difference comes out to. I will post my results sometime next week.
              MIKE

Comment

cool. Why do some swap the pulley?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The 3G pulley is sometimes bigger depending on its application... I remember hearing the box pulley wont work on the 3G, iirc the pulley rubbed the case with no spacer, and was set out too far with a spacer.
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                    The 3G pulley is sometimes bigger depending on its application... I remember hearing the box pulley wont work on the 3G, iirc the pulley rubbed the case with no spacer, and was set out too far with a spacer.
                    What he said. I've noticed that it doesn't depend on the application though. I ordered an alternator for a '95 Mustang 5.0/ the pulley was about the size of stock panther alternator pulley. Then another place I asked for the same thing, and the pulley was larger. Though you can fit the larger pulleys in there. You'd need to unbolt that support brace behind the alternator bracket, and pull the alternator down, to allow the belt to pass over the pulley.

Comment

So pretty much any pulley will work and if pulleys are swapped...it dont make a performance difference?
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        So pretty much any pulley will work and if pulleys are swapped...it dont make a performance difference?
                        If they have the same number of ribs, and lines up the same as the original pulley, then yes.

Comment

actually... the diameter of any pulley in general does affect the performance of the alternator (or any other belt driven thing) and the car... i forget which way it goes, but Im pretty sure its a trade-off situation.
                          sigpic

Comment

Smaller the pulley, the faster it turns. Faster it turns, more volts are able to be put out?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              Smaller the pulley, the faster it turns. Faster it turns, more volts are able to be put out?
                              Exactly.

Comment

I am gathering parts for my 3G upgrade. I got the charge wire from Fordfuleinjection.
                                2 guage positive and ground cable from AutoZone. I bought a "Powermaster 47759" from Rare Electrical on ebay and returned a hightoutput alternator that was a small case ford 3g without any "Powermaster Labels"

I got a 1995 E-150 130 amp 3G alternator from a local wrecking yard.

My question is can I notch the water pump mounting hole and use the same bracket that the small 2G used on the car? SinceI have been unable to find the bracket.

Comment

Working...
                                X