Headlights / grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlights / grounding

Should all 4 headlights ( 2 low/high and 2 high only ) have their own individual ground??? When I re-did the wiring for mine, I used on large common ground wire hooked to all four lights to avoid multiple ground sites. This common ground goes to the frame. Should I not have done this? Here is why Im asking: My head lights work fine, but when I hit my high beams, only the aux (high only) lights come on. The main head lights (in high mode) go very dim. So I have 2 bright ones and two dim ones. I unplugged my left side headlights and then the ones on the right worked perfectly as they should. As if they are starving for power or ground. Any advice?
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

each side has its own ground from the factory, but it should be fine the way you did it as long as they are wired right. prolly just something you overlooked in your wiring...

Have someone flash the high beams with the headlight switch off and see what they do then.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

K, will do bro.
      sigpic

Comment

When you turn the high beams on, the low beams will get a little dimmer, because you're switching to a different filament inside the bulb. But if it's getting a lot dimmer (like unusably dim) then you've got problems.

1. Double-check your wiring and connections. It's easy to miss shit.

2. You can find out whether the low beams are starving for ground simply by running a temporary jumper from the ground terminal on one low-beam to the negative battery terminal. If that fixes the problem on one side, you know that's your problem and you should probably give the low beam its own ground.

You could also unplug the high-beam only from one side and see if the low-beam on that side or both sides gets brighter.

3. What gauge wire did you run for your common ground for all four lights? Perhaps it's simply not beefy enough. (I would guess that this is the case, since unplugging one side seemed to help.) Is the ground wire getting really hot with all four lights on?
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

In my experience with four headlight cars, the main headlight has a low and high beam filament and the other light is only a high beam. They should all be just as bright when they are in high mode(all 4). However, in my case, my main lights do become unusably dim in high beam mode, yet my second lights (high beams only) are just fine. I did the jumper test and it failed, so i guess its not on the ground side. the wires are the factory FORD wiring harnes mated to the Pontiac harness just before the headlights. I used crimps. could that be the problem??? Im gona try unplugging the high only ;ike you advised. If that doesnt work I give the lowes their own ground. Thanks for the help bro. I will let you know how it works out.
          sigpic

Comment

you give all them there own ground. ford had a stupid way of ground the lights on boxes just a tinny little ground wire for both sides of the car bolted to the fender

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Im gona have to.
              sigpic

Comment

Also get rid of the crimps or add solder to the crimps. I never do anything with an amperage-sensitive application with anything but solder, because it ends up working so much better in the long run.
                Originally posted by gadget73
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                X