trunk light problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trunk light problems

87 crown vic......the trunk light doesent always go out.......anyone know where the switch is located?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Just a shot in the dark here

Is there a little box on the left hinge of the trunk?

Comment

I think that might be the inertia switch you're thinking about (black box with a white button). The light is one of those mercury switches so I'm pretty sure it's either on the lamp or in the wiring just before.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

mercury switch in light fixture... same as light under the hood for the light... have to adjust on level ground. my hood light turns on when on a hill because it angles back far enough to trick the switch. the fixture can be bent a lil to turn it off. if you want, remove trunk latch hook between tail lights so trunk dont latch. get in trunk and pull lid down so you dont get locked in and adjust the light.
        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
          87 crown vic......the trunk light doesent always go out.......anyone know where the switch is located?
          There is no switch. I had a light that had the exact opposite problem. The light works on a position stand point, like the hood light. But the mercury or whatever is inside the base. Throw a new light base in it and it should be good.

Comment

Actually it IS a switch. It's called a mercury switch.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaslincoln View Post
              Actually it IS a switch. It's called a mercury switch.
              Indeed it is. The EPA isn't a big fan of them and they're trying to get them removed from all the cars from what I recall but mine always worked just fine.
              sigpic
              1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Working...
              X