Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help!

the car is a 88 Grand Marquis GS
    i was driving to school when my running lights , stero, sirius, locks and inside lights went out i not sure if its a fuse but when i turn my running lights on and hold back for the high beams to come on everything works and when i let go it goes off i need help fast because this is my daily driver so if u can help send me a message or post it here please and thankyou to all
    sigpic

By "running lights", do you mean your standard low beams or a set of aftermarket driving lights?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

standard low beams
      sigpic

Comment

If it was just lights, I'd say it was the headlight switch failed. Since its additional stuff, I wonder if you didn't lose the ignition switch. 89 and older cars had a switch that would fall apart and cause wierd gremlins in addition to possibly catching on fire. Might want to check it out just to be safe.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

how hard is it to change because i know where i could get 1 from the autowreckers
          sigpic

Comment

with the ignition switch do that because i need this fix asap
            sigpic

Comment

don't buy a used ignition switch. NEw they are less than 20 bucks.

Remove the shrouds from the steering column. On the right side of the column, the switch is held on with 2 tamper-proof torx screws. Remove them and unplug the switch. Install the new one. Done.

Headlight switch, I'm not sure. Never done one in a Grand Marquis.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Headlight switch, I'm not sure. Never done one in a Grand Marquis.
                Should be about the same as on your Lincoln, Thain. Four screws retaining it once the trim is off and the shaft is pulled out, and about six hundred pounds of wires crisscrossing the area and preventing your hand from reaching the stupid thing.

I'm pretty sure the headlight switches are available new as well, and possibly even from AutoZone.

Techless tip: Consider replacing the tamper-resistant-Torx screws for the ignition switch with Philips head screws. Makes life lots easier if you have to mess with it again.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

alright so i chenged the ignition switch did not help, i changed the high beam/ signal switch today no luck. maby the dimmer switch? i need this fixed asap me and marquisman are trying to find out what it is but he is busy until the weekend
                  sigpic

Comment

Try tugging on all the fuse links bolted to your starter solenoid... if they are bad they will pull apart.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                    X