Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question Regarding Fusible Links and Fuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Regarding Fusible Links and Fuses.

I am in the process of figuring out a fuse box configuration that fits my needs.

Pete (85crownHPP) has done the swap himself and used maxi fuses for the Electronic Engine Control power wires originally coming from the starter solenoid.

My 86 EVTM tells me that the two powers for the EEC are protected by an 18 gauge fusible link and a 20 gauge fusible link. According to the fusible link rule this means that the actual wire gauge heading to the EEC are 16 gauge and 14 gauge respectively. This also means that the two are only really capable of handling 22 amps and 32 amps, again respectively.

Taking all of the above into account I don't really see a need to have these wires protected by a maxi fuse and would much rather use a "normal" sized fuse to do so. Am I wrong in believing this? If so, why?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Sorry I used posted the wire gauges after the fusible link sizes incorrectly. It should read "According to the fusible link rule this means that the actual wire gauge heading to the EEC are 14 gauge and 16 gauge respectively. This also means that the two are only really capable of handling 32 amps and 22 amps, again respectively." I am sure it would have been understood anyway.
    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'd like to know too, lol. I think maxi fuses aslo double as 'slow-blow' fuses, they are less susceptible to spikes I think... I dunno.
      I'm pretty sure I just wound up using 30, 40, and 50 amp maxis in relation to the 3 sizes of fuse links I had. It was so long ago... at least its still holding up!
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

no special reason to no, but I think Pete's right about the fuse reaction time. The maxi fuses likely pop slower, probably more like a fuse link would react.

What fuse box are you using? I'd like to do this on my car, mostly because several of the stock links have been replaced by bits of speaker wire, and its a general CF over there with the tow package and auto-level harnesses. I've got 2 extra bundles that most folks don't have, plus the stereo and alternator feeds.
        Last edited by gadget73; 01-17-2010, 11:48 PM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thain did you mean "no special reason to not"

If that is the case, then I am going to go for it.

And I am using the exact same type Pete is using. Think its from an aero panther. From his pictures the box looked bigger that it was, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how nice and tiny it really is when it arrived at my house.

It has a dedicated circuit breaker spot (perfect for the power windows) 4 relay spots as well as a bunch maxi and standard size fuse slots. It is just a bitch to remove the connectors, I broke two locking tabs. I almost cried lol.

Here are some pictures:

~David~

Comment

When we pulled the interior out of my dads 98 GM (truck to clear up any confusion) we broke maybe 8 of the metal tabs holding the interior in, some were bent over from the factory. Turns out those tiny metal clips are 5 bucks a pop.
            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Well I ended up using a 50 amp maxi fuse for one of the EEC's because it turned out to have a 14 gauge wire as well as a 16 gauge wire attached together on the same fusible link, and I used a 25 for the other EEC power. Nothing blew.
              ~David~

Comment

you're better off under-fusing things than over fusing them. You want that thing to pop before the wiring does. Might be worth it to hang an ammeter in there to monitor what that particular circuit actually draws and fuse 25% more than that.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

:bump:

So did you end up replacing all the fuse links at the starter solenoid with maxi-fuses? What about that funny thermal breaker or whatever that the one yellow wire goes to?
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Maxi fuses for the most part. NO idea what you are talking about regarding yellow wire.
                    ~David~

Comment

One of the wires that goes back into the cabin goes into a breaker thingy which in turn attaches to a ring terminal that attaches to the solenoid stud. Presumably someone decided to use a breaker instead of a fusible link, and it'd be approximately as well off just going through a fuse. It's the yellow wire visible in this pic: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/attachme...6&d=1281041956

Did you just choose your fuse ratings according to a wire-gauge guide?

Comment

I had a cb with a yellow wire that was for the power windows. Maybe that is what yours does too?.

And yes to your question.
                        ~David~

Comment

Hm, power windows ... yep, that's what it seems to be. Odd that that'd have a breaker when everything else has a fuse link. No biggie, looks like we can get "Maxi breakers" in a variety of ratings.

I wonder what Bussman means by "auto reset" versus "modified reset" .....

Comment

auto reset requires no touching it... just cool down. Modified reset requires killing power for it to reset.

This is post 1111
                            make a wish :p

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                            X