Electronic Flasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Flasher

I've been looking for an electronic flasher circuit for the car to start replacing lights with LEDs. The mechanical one that is in the car says it's a 325. I've looked in the auto parts stores around me, and they can't give me an answer to what replacement and none of the ones they have look like they'd plug up. What exactly am I looking for?

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

I have one of those in my car, I like the sound they make better and they're supposed to last longer.
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Alrighty thanks. I was looking for the same prong configuration, mine has three or four. But now I know what I need.

sigpic
      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

About electronic flashers:
        I put the one that Pete pictured above in my car. I have LEDs on the brake lights and the front turn signals, as well as for the "arrow" lights in the instrument cluster. Before I changed the ones in the instrument cluster for LEDs, the flasher worked fine, since the incandescent bulbs in the dashboard drew enough power. But with LEDs in the cluster, there wasn't enough current to operate one side at a time. 4-way flasher worked fine, but a single turn signal didn't work. I had to put one load resistor per front turn signal, and that ended up drawing enough current to work properly.

tldr version:
        If you put LEDs on the turn signals, keep the incandescent bulbs in the instrument cluster "arrow" lights.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Grote 44891 LED flasher. Visit a Napa, they have similar/same LED flashers available. The wire you see gets grounded.

[no attaching pics in an edit... HEY admin, any changing this restriction? Seems I do this all too often... Pic coming up in a following message]

Alex.
          Last edited by GM_Guy; 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

What is the difference between the electric flasher and non electric flasher?
            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

The non-electric you will only find in the Flinstone mobile. ;-)

The Tridon "electronic" flasher in post two gets its name from the fact theres a capacitor and some other electronic bits in it. It will work with one normal lamp in the circuit.

An LED flasher is all electronic and internally sets the flash rate regardless of what is attached to it.

Alex.

Comment

Grote 44891 LED flasher.
                Attached Files

Comment

Cool on the LED flasher. However, I would have to hack some wiring up to use that, since the flasher is on 90-91 fuse panels, and there's only space for the round one, especially if you want to put the cover back on it.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

No hacking needed. If it is too tall to get the cover on, two male spade lugs, two female spade lugs, two lengths of wire to use as an extension and tywrap the flasher under the dash somewhere.

Alex.

Comment

Where would be a good place to ground that to? And that would eliminate the use of load resistors?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                        Where would be a good place to ground that to? And that would eliminate the use of load resistors?
                        Yes. It will 'flash' regardless if there's anything is hooked up/ or blown bulb etc. You could ground that to one of the unused ports on the ground bus under the dash.
                        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 03-24-2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Coolness. I'll have to go look around under the dash again...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                            No hacking needed. If it is too tall to get the cover on, two male spade lugs, two female spade lugs, two lengths of wire to use as an extension and tywrap the flasher under the dash somewhere.

Alex.
                            I call that hacking up some wiring. Not necessarily hacking up factory wiring, but you'd have to figure something out. All I meant was that it's not plug and play.

Comment

Working...
                            X