No announcement yet.

Electronic Flasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hacking wiring to me is cutting into the factory wiring (if it can't be easily un-done and put back as it was when it left the factory). Adding wiring to exisiting connectors isn't hacking it. It may be ghetto-fab, but not hacked.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
      Alrighty thanks. I was looking for the same prong configuration, mine has three or four. But now I know what I need.
      3 or 4 prongs?? are you sure you're looking at the right thing? My 88 only has the round 2-prong ones like in my pic... I had to take the one out of the hazard slot and put it in the signal one to get my signals working
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        3 or 4 prongs?? are you sure you're looking at the right thing? My 88 only has the round 2-prong ones like in my pic... I had to take the one out of the hazard slot and put it in the signal one to get my signals working
        I'll look again when I get back home (in the hotel at work in PA right now), but it's the only big round thing that says "Flasher" in the fuse panel. I was pretty sure it had at least three. Could've been wrong though, when I pulled it out, I was in a rush.

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

thread resurrect

where is the original flasher located in a 87 down vic? Under the dash? I'm going to go with leds in the tailights and turn signals....
          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

turn signal flasher is behind the kick panel underneath the steering column, right in the fuse box. The only round thing in the fuse box matter of fact.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

thanks!
              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Ok so I just ordered a sequential tail light kit and there is talk about resistors... and electroinc flashers. The LED flasher will flash no matter what the load on it? So I can wire that in under the dash and then be all set with no fooling around with heat sinks and resistors in my trunk?
                "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

If you get the direct fit electronic flashers (the kind capable of the full OEM load) you shouldn't have any issues. Some are made to actually flash no matter the load, but make sure they can handle at least the current rating that the current thermal ones do. Then all you have to do is take the "round can" out of the fuse box and replace it with the new electronic flasher. no need to wire squat down there and no fooling with extra heatsinks/resistors that the kit itself doesn't come with.

And which kit did you get? If I can find a PDF of the manual I can definitely get a better idea of what this is going to entail.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I got a splice in with 2 seperate units (one for each side) from americanmuscle for a 96-00 mustang. It was cheaper and had a feature regarding breaking I liked. I figure I would get this one as I am pretty much on my own any way. So I just need a normal electronic replacement 550? flasher then... it is still going to have the normal directionals up front, I just don't like the idea of heatsinks in my carpeted trunk. Thanks for your help as well, I will try to track down directions, or upload some when the kit arrives.
                    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

actually, with that kit, you may not have to change the flashers at all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        actually, with that kit, you may not have to change the flashers at all.
                        Interesting, I haven't purchased the flasher relay yet, I assume napa should have one in stock ( I hope ) if not I can wire it up and deal with the 4 ways being all funky for a day or so, until I can get the flasher.
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I'm saying that based on the "this kit will not work with LED replacement taillights" bit.

Comment

so it's really that simple? make sure I have regular ol' glass bulbs for my dashboard arrow lights, replace the flasher can with an electronic flasher can, and I can use LEDs?
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

yes! it really is one of those things that is as good as it sounds
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I just need glass bulbs for my signals inside....I don't have any good new glass bulbs around. Just LEDs. it's all your fault, Pete!
                                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
                                X