Hardwired 2G alternator Part #?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardwired 2G alternator Part #?

Nosing around on Google... I discovered that Ford has a 2G alternator that was revised to be hardwired.... as seen here....

Anyone know what the part number is on this? There is a local place that sells good used alternators, and I'd like to find one of these. I'm aware of the 3G upgrade, I'm just not prepared for it yet. After looking around, the 2G alternator scares me to death now.
    '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
    Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
    CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

65amp?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

That looks like someone made their own plug out of push connectors and just epoxied the thing in place to me. Even if that is factory, I probably wouldn't go seeking out an exotic and hard to find 2g when the 3g swap is so little extra effort.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea dont waste your time looking for an exotic 2g.........3g is the way to go.......used ones 10-30 bucks, reman and new ones 90-180 bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

that thing still has a 3-wire plug on it... i think the charge wires are just permanently attached to the output terminal on that one.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You could go with that set up that takes those wires and puts it to a charge stud. But then basically, you'd have a weak output 3g for the most part

Comment

Nothing exotic about it, its a hybrid rectifier to get around known issues, same sorta deal as the other one I posted a while back that converted it to a standard stud output terminal.

WAI (transpo) pigtail rectifier p/n FR192BBS

Alex.

Comment

i used to work at wai many yrs ago

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Screw it. At best, you'd have an alternator that, while not having the fire hazard that comes with a 2g, still only has a 65 amp output, as opposed to the 3g's 130 or so amps. Also, you'd still have the 2g's miserable idle output.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Well, to hold me over until I upgrade to a 3G, I made a "quick fix" if you will.

I removed the fire hazard plug by the relays........

Mainly because the plug is a obvious part of the 2G danger. It fits loosely, and the terminals inside the plug are simply undersized.

And replaced it with these...

I already ordered both plugs on the alternator side, and they should be here tomorrow. I figure this will hold me over and be safe enough until I get a decent 3G alternator to swap over to. Saying that.... what cars had the highest amperage 3G?

Comment

ok i'm wrong........ i saw a hardwired 2g at autozone today............but it was a shops return, it smelled cooked lol

Comment

Thats not the plug that fails. Its the plug on the side of the alternator that melts down.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know, but it could very well be a contributing cause. The undersized terminals in the plug can cause resistance thus causing a meltdown at the other plug due to the excessive resistance. Either way, both plugs are poor designs.

Makes me wonder why Ford even approved that kind of hazardous setup.... but the Ford tech I know claims that there's nothing wrong with the design..

Comment

Yeah i guess that's why they still put them in new Fords

Makes me wonder why Ford even approved that kind of hazardous setup.... but the Ford tech I know claims that there's nothing wrong with the design..
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Its quicker and easier to install, just plug it in, and since its quicker that means it costs less to put the car together. It usually lasted through the warranty period too, so as long as it does that there is nothing wrong with the design as far as the mfg is concerned.

Comment

Working...
                              X