Relay under the dash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relay under the dash...

I am pulling out the nightmare oif wires the Sheriff's Office put in this car when they wired it for emergency lights... under the dash right to the right of the fuse block, is a relay... with four connections... it is a REALLY BIG relay... a square metal box, with two large bolt style connections, and two smaller male "push on" coonections... is this the horn relay? It looks like a factory installed part, from the way it is mounted. Reason I ask, is after the engine swap, the horn wouldn't work, and this relay has a big (10 gauge) wire that connected to the emergency lights positive terminal on the lights circuit the Sheriff's Office installed...
    The horns are hookeed up so that when you click the siren on, the horn button circuit automatically switches to the siren, so when you push the horn button, the elecrtronic airhorn blows... and also changes the siren tones when the selector is set on a siren tone. Anyways. the siren and the horn did not work after the engine swap, So I figured when they put the new engine comnputer in under the dash, the knocked one of the wires loose... I can't find any wires loose.. and the two wires that are cut and run to the siren box are good... (You cut the horn wire coming from the horn buttons and splice in two wires, oner for each side of the wire you cut. They then run to the siren box, to make the circuit work)

So, I guess my main quetions is,,,, What is the large relay next to the fuse box?

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Here is a picture of what I am talking about... this is just to the right of the fuse box...

The large circle is the relay... the smaller circle is the large wire running to the power circuit breakeer for the red lights that the S.O. installed... the short green wire going to the flasher you see is for the headlight flasher. I think they just used it for a terminal to hook up the flasher...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

That thingy is definitely an add-on, probably a small isolator or switching relay to do what you described with the horn pad function switching.
      The OE horn relay is under the hood on the drivers fender with the fuel pump, EEC and other relays.
      I can't be much help because I don't know how that thing is wired or how it works...
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I finnally figured it out, had to buy a new meter... It is a relay the Sheriff's Office put in to handle the load for the headlight flashers. So I hooked just that relay back up, so my headlight flashers will still work for parades... I removed about 50 feet of wiring they had put in the car... A first grader could wire that car better!!!

Comment

Working...
        X