Random Hornage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Hornage

So I got into the railyard this morning from work and as I'm working I hear a car blowing its horn from the parking lot. Low and behold, it was my car blowing its horn continuously. Open the door and touch the horn button on the wheel and it stops.

Okay, weird right? Start it up to heat up everything, drive an hour home, park and go in the house. Sarah wakes me up saying that my mom had to go out and turn off my horn a couple hours later...same solution, touch the button and it stops.

So what's going on? Problem with the solenoid in the wheel or maybe with the horn itself? (Freeway Blaster from Advanced Auto)

Or is Cherry just horny? :leghumper:

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

The foam in the horn button pad can get weak and let the contacts touch - try either a replacement or replacing the foam. The cold weather might be shrinking the pad a little, making it act up lately.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
      So I got into the railyard this morning from work and as I'm working I hear a car blowing its horn from the parking lot. Low and behold, it was my car blowing its horn continuously. Open the door and touch the horn button on the wheel and it stops.

Okay, weird right? Start it up to heat up everything, drive an hour home, park and go in the house. Sarah wakes me up saying that my mom had to go out and turn off my horn a couple hours later...same solution, touch the button and it stops.

So what's going on? Problem with the solenoid in the wheel or maybe with the horn itself? (Freeway Blaster from Advanced Auto)

Or is Cherry just horny? :leghumper:
      Sounds like the switch is wonky, I'd try another switch. You can swap your cover if you can't find one in your color.

Comment

the switch is literally two plates with foam in the middle. I took the foam out of the one in my 88 MGM and replaced it with a couple one inch diameter felt pads around the center hole. Takes some more pressure to trigger the horn now than stock though. YMMV

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

relay sticking open and for some reason closing after you press the button?
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

replace the foam. it takes some time, but the results are well worth it. i replaced the pad in my brothers car when he still had the wagon. i used a latex foam about the same thickness as the original.
            What happened here?

Comment

Alrighty mangs, thanks. Now I just need to find some foam to replace it with.

sigpic
              - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

craft and sewing stores are a great place to start. i found mine at an R/C car / hobby store.
                What happened here?

Comment

Honestly, I think its just that the original horn has become insanely jealous of the train horns, and has chosen to malfunction on purpose.

I know. My logic is flawless.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Got some felt and sandwiched it in there, I'll let y'all know if it does it again. Should be fixed now and I don't mind the need for extra pressure. I hardly use that horn anyways.

As always, appreciate the quick responses and help.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                    Honestly, I think its just that the original horn has become insanely jealous of the train horns, and has chosen to malfunction on purpose.

I know. My logic is flawless.
                    Could very well be. I don't know what horn wouldn't be jealous of the sheer awesomeness that 200psi creates.

sigpic

Comment

heh, just in the last couple days I've almost bought a Freeway Blaster horn and replaced/rebuilt the hornpad.

Is the blaster any good? Obviously no trainhorn, but noticeably better/louder/cooler than stock?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I was gonna say maybe relay. fuse my mom's jeep did the something although the clock spring was bad. it was sure cold this morning scott mang 35 outside this morning.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                        X