power door locks? one is operational but slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK-- is dorman considered a decent brand? It's $80 shipped :-(
    Then, duralast... my god, it's 15% of my car's blue book value! One actuator! hahahaha

Two more questions:
    the fact that mine goes up effortlessly and is resistive only coming down, is that still a sign of a bad motor? I would think that it would have trouble both ways-- if that's not necessarily the case, good to know, and, the engineer in me wants to know why
    Just want to be sure before I special order this part!

Second, what are these later models of which you speak? Just plug in "2005" grand marquis instead of "1990"?

Almost done... just curious... these things do use solenoids. Wonder if I can just rewind the copper wiring? Rebuild the dang thing and save myself $80? Not to mention $80 again, again, and again, when inevitably the others go!

Finally: can these motors just be removed and then you have manual locks? If so-- then I can open up the panel tomorrow, fish out the motor, and afford to dick around with it a little without having an unsecured car!
    AND-- if the systems are the same, it would suggest that I can add a power lock to my tailgate? Which I would be interested in-- I often just slam the door shut, and forget that I have to lock it independently with its own key, power locks lock all 4 doors but not it!

Comment

Your tailgate should have had a power lock if the rest of them had power locks. They just fail early and often. Also rockauto has dorman for 47.99
      Last edited by 91waggin; 11-20-2010, 12:50 AM.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Dorman is good stuff... I'll probably try one of them if I ever replace another, they look like they have a better boot on them. I've put in both good used ford ones and the cheap Chinese $30 ones, just to have both fail in a couple years.
        But yes, you can just remove/disconnect the power lock motor and have working manual locks.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post

Second, what are these later models of which you speak? Just plug in "2005" grand marquis instead of "1990"?
          Basically. After a while you will learn how to just start adapting things to your car once originals become hard to find.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I get the autozone cheapo with the lifetime warranty. already returned 2 for replacements. yeah... it's a bitch taking the panel off, but I don't have to pay for front door lock actuators any more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The plug is different on the later model ones, so you'll need some means to actually connect it.

What I want to do is find a late model application with the proper length rod so I don't have to make new holes in my doors. They just got painted, and I have little desire to go plugging holes and making new ones if I can help it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I installed the stock plug on the new motor so it was plug and play aside from mounting.

I am pretty sure you can bend up a rod with a vice, some pliers and some heat.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Sounds like my passenger's rear door lock. Now it doesn't lock or unlock, unless manually moved, then it will work kinda.

Comment

Man, it's always the passenger rear! that's three of us.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

My p.side rear is fine. I actually think it will last forever at the rate its going.
                      ~David~

Comment

oh shuddup

Comment

Ah I love my two door. :nana2:
                          ~David~

Comment

hahahaha.
                            Alright-- so are the newer ones better built and cheaper?

I just got a quote on the rear motor: friggin $200. Of course I'd shop around before paying that... but $30 was kindof what I was thinking.
                            SO.... I am considering rebuilding it. I'll take it out this weekend, and open it up: I mean, just how bad can it be to rewind some copper coils and install some new brushes?

Comment

They're crimped together. so getting them apart is a significant problem. The root problem is the rubber boot on top that keeps the moisture out. Once that tears, water just dumps down inside the lock motor and its all over with. If the boot is OK, you can just lube the motor up and chances are it will work fine, but if you don't keep the water out, its doomed.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X