Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put a restrictor of some fashion in the hose to the core. Even a flush T would probably be enough. Also, don't cheap out on a good flush and new coolant.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      Put a restrictor of some fashion in the hose to the core. Even a flush T would probably be enough. Also, don't cheap out on a good flush and new coolant.
      I have a T-flush in the heater hose already. I don't really want to put any further restriction items in the system because I fear other parts will break once the pressure builds up.
      There's been plenty of cooling system issues with this car over the years. It tends to like to bust every hose, part, HEATER CORE I put in it.
      Thought it was solved with a new lower test rad cap (13 lb I think it is) and it was good for a couple years. Coolant is nice an clean due to always having fresh stuff in it, and it does be flushed every time it's opened up for surgery.
      Alas, I'm getting good at replacing heater cores now...
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
        I have a T-flush in the heater hose already. I don't really want to put any further restriction items in the system because I fear other parts will break once the pressure builds up.
        There's been plenty of cooling system issues with this car over the years. It tends to like to bust every hose, part, HEATER CORE I put in it.
        Thought it was solved with a new lower test rad cap (13 lb I think it is) and it was good for a couple years. Coolant is nice an clean due to always having fresh stuff in it, and it does be flushed every time it's opened up for surgery.
        Alas, I'm getting good at replacing heater cores now...
        Should have you come down here and do my heater cores!! LOL. As for your issues, it sounds like there is a restriction somewhere in the coolant system that is causing pressure problems. Changing the rad cap to a lower pressure is a stop gap fix but something else is happening. Thermostat good??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
          Should have you come down here and do my heater cores!! LOL. As for your issues, it sounds like there is a restriction somewhere in the coolant system that is causing pressure problems. Changing the rad cap to a lower pressure is a stop gap fix but something else is happening. Thermostat good??
          Everything is new since 2007, less than 60,000 miles ago.
          You don't need a heater core Bobby, you live in Florida!
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Everything is new since 2007, less than 60,000 miles ago.
            You don't need a heater core Bobby, you live in Florida!
            You're correct - I don't NEED a heater core but I can't see the car not being fully functional!! Just a pet peeve.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

still popping with a 13# cap? interesting. maybe the radiator neck is too short for the cap? You shouldn't have to press down on the cap much to get it to engage with the radiator fill neck. If you're having to lean into it to get it to seat initially, you may need to find a shorter one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

still popping with a 13# cap? interesting. maybe the radiator neck is too short for the cap? You shouldn't have to press down on the cap much to get it to engage with the radiator fill neck. If you're having to lean into it to get it to seat initially, you may need to find a shorter one.
                No man, all I have to do is twist the cap between my fore finger and thumb and it goes right on there.
                Upper rad hose gets nice and firm but nothing abnormal. Stuff goes keblewy when I accelerate either bit hard at all, such as when I'm pulling out into traffic or if I'm passing a slower moving vehicle on the highway. Maybe my water pump is too enthusiastic? I thought I had it cured with the rad cap. Oh well, in any event I need to find a new heater core. I'd like to get a NOS Ford/Motorcraft piece to eliminate the aftermarket brand variable. Anyone know where to find such a beast? I already checked the local Ford dealer here, they don't like dealing with anything over 10 years old. I checked fordparts.com, they got nothing and Rock Auto is all aftermarket stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                  You're correct - I don't NEED a heater core but I can't see the car not being fully functional!! Just a pet peeve.....
                  I feel your pain, Bobby. I like for stuff to work as it should.
                  Hope all is well with everything else you got going on in your life.

Comment

I feel your pain, Bobby. I like for stuff to work as it should.
                    Hope all is well with everything else you got going on in your life.
                    Thanks!! A LOT of stuff currently going on but standing strong! I can't recall seeing an OEM heater core, for cars that old, but I'll see if I locate anything.

Comment

My Autozone heater core is doing well, just over a year since I put it in.

Unrelated to the question of best heater core:
                      I was at the JY last weekend and found a correction for step 8 on the driver's side section.
                      On the last picture you can see a hole in the plastic panel where a christmas-tree clip should be. My car did not have this, my guess is when the PO hacked up the stoplamp switch wiring that clip was not put back.
                      The below pic shows where the clip will be, indicated by the green circle.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Maybe you have a high volume water pump? I'd much rather blow a hose than a core with a restrictor in line.

Comment

Maybe you have a high volume water pump? I'd much rather blow a hose than a core with a restrictor in line.
                          It's possible I suppose, but IIRC I only paid about $36 for it in Labrador, so there can't be anything too special about it.
                          As for blowing hoses, well, she likes to do that too from time to time.
                          Winter is making a bit of a re-appearance in these parts, back to below freezing temps again and respectable snow flurries, so it's all on the shelf again until the weather warms up.

Comment

Quick question: do any of ye know off hand which heater hose feeds the heater core, and which one is the return line?
                            I'm thinking the hose from the water pump to the heater core (right/passenger side hose, with thermal blower lockout switch) is the feed line and the other one going to the steel line under the upper intake manifold and on forward to the coolant temperature sensor is the return line. I could take hoses off and see for myself, but meh, that will likely make a big mess. Trying to get the nerve up to undertake this job again....gets worse each time I think!

Comment

Quick question: do any of ye know off hand which heater hose feeds the heater core, and which one is the return line?
                              I'm thinking the hose from the water pump to the heater core (right/passenger side hose, with thermal blower lockout switch) is the feed line and the other one going to the steel line under the upper intake manifold and on forward to the coolant temperature sensor is the return line. I could take hoses off and see for myself, but meh, that will likely make a big mess. Trying to get the nerve up to undertake this job again....gets worse each time I think!
                              I believe you are correct, the hose with the TBL switch (passenger side hose) is the feed line.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Do not count on it!!.....Green sent me two cores.......both did not fit!...the shop that did the job provided the core.....that was last year.....all is well, and zero issues.....and tons of heat
                                Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                Check green sales for the heater core. I was lucky enough to get a core through my Ford dealer though..I'd give it a shot Pete.

Comment

Working...
                                X