Tripminder in 1990 Crown Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripminder in 1990 Crown Victoria

Hey guys. Thought I'd tell you guys of the spontaneous installation of a tripminder in Skippy's 1990 Crown Vic. As you all know. The '90 plus clusters have shitty plastic gears that fail and cause the odometers to not work. Skip wants a trip odometer for his own personal reasons, and being that this is the 3rd or 4th cluster, and that he doesn't want to pay that much for replacement gears, I suggested a tripminder for a trip odometer. I took it one step further and added the fuel flow wire as well.

The tripminder is installed where the drivers side center vent used to be. The tripminder harness plugs right into the stock clock harness (same as earlier set ups). The VSS wiring was tapped right off of the instrument cluster. So with the easy stuff out of the way, I added the fuel flow wire to the computer harness. A bunch of swearing later... (the computer didn't want to separate from the harness), the harness was disassembled and the fuel flow wire was added. A test drive at 4am showed that everything was functioning properly.

Pics tomorrow.

sweet!
    wait... how shitty are these plastic gears? how long before my own odometer and trip minder both fail?

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
      sweet!
      wait... how shitty are these plastic gears? how long before my own odometer and trip minder both fail?
      No one knows. They're common to fail. Some last longer than others.

Comment

Awesome... I wanted to put a tripminder in my 91 when I got it, but said F-it when I found no fuel flow wire. It was wishful thinking...
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Sorry no pics. Skip took the car to Berks county and won't be back for a few days :/

Comment

Well, I did manage to snap one pic with my camera phone. It's shitty, but deal with it. Tripminder is fully functional. He didn't care about pretty. So neither did I.
            Attached Files

Comment

I guess there isn't enough room for it in the lighter location next to the radio?
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

No, that's too small. Besides, the lighter is still used as 12v power for satellite radio.

Comment

Working...
                X