Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tachometer?

This ought to be easy.
    I want to wire up a tach to see what's going on with idle speeds... and just because.

I know where the ignition coil is; that plastic box with the wire that goes to the middle of the dizzy?

Where exactly do I solder the green wire off the tach?

thanks!
    -Bernard

I want to say it conveniently goes to the green wire on the coil...
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

On the coil jam it in the upper most slot I believe.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yes, the green one... which is the top most one on panthers with the tilt they have...

pic: (yeah... the one wrapped with electrical tape)
        Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Off topic. Is the condenser (pictured in slymers picture) necessary? and what the hell does it do?
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

cool! That seems easy enough!

Time to pull off my dash, to do that darn heater core and all of my gauges now

...what condenser are you talking about?
            There's that tiny little grey canister at the front left, I just assumed it was a capacitor but that is, well, just a wild, uninformed assumption.
            If that's even what you were asking about, that is

Comment

the condenser (capacitor) is used to reduce noise on the electronics (it keeps the coil's spikes from going though the car's electronics).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

So it is a good idea if it works.
                ~David~

Comment

it's pretty much required for computer controlled cars. all those pulse signals need to be relatively clean for the computer to know what to do. if you've ever been in an OLD car with a carb and stock radio and had the radio hum at you to the rhythm of the engine RPM, you'll know what I mean by electrical noise. having that noise on the engine control circuits in computer controlled cars is not a good thing.

Comment

If it is a capacitor --and it looks like one, and from what you've said, does the same things, so I'm going to go ahead and say it is one-- then it's not really ever going to not work.
                    They're just opposed sheets of metal rolled up into a canister, with insulation in between. Unless you crushed it/ punctured it so it could short across the sheets, it should last forever. Oh, I guess that insulation *eventually* rots away, or maybe the sheets of metal start corroding.
                    I always do love shows like stargate, where very advanced, miniaturized, and sensitive alien tech turns on perfectly 2 million years later (no exaggeration, that's a number some of these scifi shows, and novels, actually toss around).

Comment

btw, it looks like you just have one wire there (the green one).
                      I know there's an existing wire in that same spot for mine which is not green. Since I don't have a tach on the dash, I can only presume it's for the ecu.

should I leave it, adding my own tach wire in parallel (i.e., just strip some insulation from the existing wire and splice mine into it)?
                      Or could there be any issues dividing the current 2 ways like that?

Comment

I stripped some wire back and spliced it in. Only trouble with that is you can't get any heat shrink tube onto it. You won't have any issues doing it this way but I'd recommend soldering it for a better connection.

The way I should do it is snip the wire at the coil (with more than enough length to solder), slip some heat shrink tube over, then solder those other two little guys (the other half of the original wire, and your new tachometer lead) in place. It will look better than some wires stuck together with electrical tape. Trust me, I know
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

mine is the soldered and wrapped with electrical tape

yeah... not near as clean... but definitely functional.

Comment

OK, so you have 2 wires coming out of there? (it's hard to tell)

Comment

nevermind, yeah, you've got 2 wires

Comment

Working...
                              X