3g not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3g not working

I have finished the 351 swap in my 85 vic. everything runs very well so far. I have however been unable to get the 3g alternator to actually charge. i got one from a junkyard, and the the pigtail. I have purchased a reman'd 3g for a 95 taurus and it too will not work. I rewired my everything, and it is all correct. I have 12.5v at every point that needs voltage. the only thing i do not have is the original instrument cluster lamp. it has a resistor of 510, but that shouldn't change the charging cycle. if anybody has any help, it would all be appreciated so much. thanks.

blane
    85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
    09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
    79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
    64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

take the resistor out of the loop. The lamp will not have any more than a few ohms of resistance. It may be dropping the voltage too far.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
      take the resistor out of the loop. The lamp will not have any more than a few ohms of resistance. It may be dropping the voltage too far.
      This

Comment

just run it straight to a switched 12v point. The resistor is to dim the bulb a bit to reduce heat if its on. Its too high to allow the circuit to work without the lamp.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

does the alternator charge with a higher engine rpm?
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

no, i dont have the lamp in the circuit at all. sorry for confusion. and i figured that i could test the alternator by removing battery cable when the car is running and it still run for a short amount at least. but it died instantly. i thought that worked on carb'd cars. and the alternator is wired to key on, so it always has power. and a higher rpm does nothing.

blane

Comment

how exactly is the green/red wire hooked up? It should go directly to +12v if you aren't using the lamp. If you have the resistor in there, get rid of it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it's directly to power when key is in 'on' position. it has 12.5v at the alternator, from terminal into alternator. i am not using a resistor.

Comment

stator is attached, and sense wire is attached to battery?

Comment

yes, it is yellow/white and attached with the red wire, both going to battery through 60amp fuse.

Comment

Do this an nothing else.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Take your alternator to somewhere that tests them and get it tested. Now and then a new or 'reman' part is just bad out of the box.
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

So, I have it wired to fuse 18, a 10 amp fuse. I took the alternator to be checked and it passed. Also, I took the fuse out earlier and put it back in and the alternator worked. So I drove it for 5 minutes arOund the neighborhood and got back, and it was no longer charging. Is this a problem with the fuse block or too big a fuse maybe?

Comment

Proper alternator fuse is 175amps. and should be inline of charge wire between battery and alternator.

Your green/red wire should be on a fuse worth 20amps, according to Dave's diagram

Comment

Working...
                              X