Strange Electrical Glitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Electrical Glitch

I am having a strange electrical issue with my 1986 Grand Marquis. The vanity mirror lights, overhead dome map lights, and trunk light will only come on when I have the back passenger side door open >.> I can't figure out why the push in button on that door would affect those lights. I thought it only affected making the interior door lights and overhead dome light go on or off? Any ideas on what might be causing this would be appreciated.

Only the one door? Thats pretty odd... I'd remove that lower trim, pull up the carpet and have a look for some bad wiring in the channel down there.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

an easy way to tell you if it's the switch doing it or not - when you've got the door open just press the switch and see what's what.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Ok 1990LTD, I went out and opened the front passenger door, which made the door lights and dome light come on, then closed that door, and opened the back passenger door. That made the vanity lights and map lights come on. When I pushed in the door switch they all went off and came back on when I released it. What I did notice though was that after so many seconds when the dome light and door lights automatically turn off, it didn't work anymore. The door switch being open at that point wouldn't make the vanity lights come on. I had to pull up the door handle on the front right door again to make them come on.

Comment

Another thing I am wondering is if the interior dome light is supposed to stay on as long as any of the four doors are open, or only if one of the front doors are open?

Comment

do you have the driver door keypad? This could all be related to that uber weirdness that is the control module for that system.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nope Slymer there is no keypad on my car.

Comment

It sounds like the illuminated entry bs has something to do with it. Do your keyholes in your doors light up?

Comment

Yes Vicky86 the keyholes light up when you pull on the door handles

Comment

So then are those door push in switches nothing to do with this lighting problem, only the illuminated entry system? Or both?

Comment

Ok I have an update on that light problem. Yesterday I was checking the fuse panel, and see I have the red and white wire from the tach going through the side of the dash up into that fuse panel. I noticed when I was moving them around some, the vanity mirror lights would come on. Then I pulled them both out a little bit from the hole I ran them through to get to the fuse panel and now they work all the time as well as the overhead map lights >.> So maybe the connection on the back of the fuse panel for the overhead lights was loose or something, and pulling the slack from those red and white wires made a connection better or something lol. If only my fuel gauge problem was that easy to fix!

Comment

Working...
                      X