Ignition Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Switch

The key switch was replaced in the '91 a couple years ago. I don't recall the symptoms of it's failure.
    Lately it has been slightly out of position & won't accept the key until it is rotated. Today it started door dinging with the door open & the key in my hand...If the key switch is jiggled, it stops dinging...

I assume it is the el cheapo key switch going bad again. Is there a possibility of an issue w/the assy on the column, or do you guys think it is the switch again?

Thanks Mangs

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

the assist part has broken free of the cylinder inside. My 93 did that, so yeah, el cheapo is el broke-o You can take it apart, align the assist tabs to be in the correct position and glue it back in place to avoid complete replacement again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Did you replace the ignition switch or the key's lock cylinder? Sounds like a lock cylinder problem.
      I actually just ordered an el-cheapo cylinder from Rock Auto for my 91, it looks so cheap I almost don't even want to put it in, lol.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

In my steering column thread I noticed the switch assembly was a bit loose between the plastic and metal halves. This was apperent on the old switch and also on the new switch. Pic in the thread shows how to tighten them up. Not your issue maybe but something to watch out for.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
          Did you replace the ignition switch or the key's lock cylinder?
          The Key lock cylinder....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
          X