No announcement yet.

Heater Core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did mine, 88 GM 2 years ago, took my time, laid out the parts in order on garage floor,bagged and tagged. One regret tho should have taken photo's and or a video. Worst part was my hands got cut up alot by trying to reach around and through things. I pressure test the new heater core too.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
      My dad, who sold L/M + used for 33 years was saying that Sables/Taurus you can make quick work of a heater-core job by removing the glovebox.
      I did one in my Aerostar and all I had to do was remove the glove box and I had full access to the heater box after that. So yeah, not sure about Taurus but the Aerostar is very easy.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Don't think you can do a GM through the glove box (I wish). I would assume I would have to remove the entire dash to do mine (the '87 or '95) and that is NOT going to happen any time soon.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

^ I agree with bob, I don't even know where I would begin to remove the dash!
          - Juan
          -White 1995 Grand Marquis, 16xxxx -Muffler delete with straight pipe in place -Custom gauges by Scott -KYB shocks -Nightshaded tail lights -Blacked out rear fascia -All auxiliary lights LEDs -3 broken window motors -6w LED CHMSL mod -101mm intake snout made with duct hose -Gatorback Belt -180 T-Stat -P&P TB -Gods Head badge in rear -Good Ole' K&N Air Filter -2005 Mustang Wheels with 1.5" F and 2" R Spacers -Cady 4 Tone Horn -Mercury Sable Console w/ Cut Seats -Taurus SHO Spoiler (Pending Application)

-2nd panther owned. '03 black n white CVPI, sold.

Comment

Unless "global warming" gets us I have no intention of doing mine here in South Florida - usually not that often of a need. Would only think about it as I do like to have everything working but not THAT bad!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

yeah... other cars are easy... panthers... not so much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is it true that the ATC systems need to be discharged in order to replace the heater core ? The only cars I have done heater cores on were non ATC cars
                Last edited by Mainemantom; 04-05-2013, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Bob exactly, dude we had what maybe a week TOTAL of cold days?? And nowhere near cold enough to need the heater! Coldest we got this year was I think ONE night of like 40 with windchill like at 2am!! Haha
                  - Juan
                  -White 1995 Grand Marquis, 16xxxx -Muffler delete with straight pipe in place -Custom gauges by Scott -KYB shocks -Nightshaded tail lights -Blacked out rear fascia -All auxiliary lights LEDs -3 broken window motors -6w LED CHMSL mod -101mm intake snout made with duct hose -Gatorback Belt -180 T-Stat -P&P TB -Gods Head badge in rear -Good Ole' K&N Air Filter -2005 Mustang Wheels with 1.5" F and 2" R Spacers -Cady 4 Tone Horn -Mercury Sable Console w/ Cut Seats -Taurus SHO Spoiler (Pending Application)

-2nd panther owned. '03 black n white CVPI, sold.

Comment

You could always take the lazy way out and cut a hole through the firewall I know there is someone on here who cut through the box that the heater core sits in to make it more accessible without taking off as much of the dash, don't remember who or how though. Still sounds too risky for me. I really wish they would have made this easier to get to...

Comment

It appears they built the entire car AROUND the core! And Juan, you're right - we can "hold out" down here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                        Is it true that the ATC systems need to be discharged in order to replace the heater core ? The only cars I have done heater cores on were non ATC cars
                        not if you pull the dash. only dolts that cut the firewall to get the core out need to do that. My 88 has ATC and there's no need for those shenanigans. I have no clue why it's even in the ALLDATA repair schedule. Panthers are not Mustangs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Alldata gives 8 hours to do the job, labor between 7-800 hundred depending upon shop labor times. This is for a 5.0 car with ATC.

Comment

alldata also lists discharging the AC and removing the evap core too... it's not a fox body dammit!
                            6 hours for the DIY'r (6.5 hours for me when I did it cause I did a few other things while I was in there along with breaks for lunch and stuffs)
                            4 hours for experienced git-er-dun-NAO guy.

Comment

My 2nd time around was just under 4 hours from dragging my shit outside to gathering everything back in and putting it away. That includes pulling it loose again after realizing I forgot to feed the vacuum line through the firewall first .

Things learned from the first time:

You only need to remove the easily reached nuts on the engine side of the firewall. And remove the nuts from the two bottom studs from the inside of the car. Dash still needs to be loosened and trim panels removed to get enough space. Then don't be afraid to pull on it like a tug of war rope to break it free.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X