Dash Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash Lights

My left-hand turn blinker burned out last week. I am pretty sure that I have to pull the dash when replacing the computer (A9P), so I figured I would get in there and replace most of the lighting and also restore the gear indicator as well. When replacing (or attempting to) the heater core, I pulled out the dummy light/speedo cluster. How much more involved is it to switch the lights? Also, if I wanted to switch to LED's, what number do I use? Thanks guys

Packman

Replacing the dash lights is easy once the cluster is out, which is kind of a pain in these cars. But once it's out you basically just twist the bulb socket out from the back of the cluster and the pull the bulb straight out of the socket.

The bulbs are 192 IIRC and when going with LEDs just get 192 replacement LEDs, but don't get the real long 192 LEDs because they may not fit. I used 192 LEDs that were kinda flat on the "bulb" part.

Also I wouldn't use an led on the alternator warning light because the alternator may not work if you do that.

And really there is no need to pull the dash to replace the computer, unless the A9P has some odd design that I don't know about. You just unbolt your current computer harness on the firewall and pull the old one out and swap the new one in. One 10mm bolt on the outside behind cruise ball.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

194 bulbs.
      Very close though!!
      www.superbrightleds.com They have cluster-specific 194 bulbs. They are short and are designed to operate very well inside a instrument cluster. This is where I buy all my LEDs. Cheap and crazy fast shipping, plus plug and play.
      I like plug and play. A lot.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

That's cool about not having to pull the dash for the computer swap. I may do it anyways because there are a lot of things in need of repair. I forgot to ask/mention, does the dash need to be pulled for a brake booster replacement? I know, different section, but I didn't want to make another thread just for that.

And thanks for the light bulb ID.

Packman

Comment

Get the 5 way LEDs if you go that route. They do a decent job of lighting the cluster. The ones that have a single lamp or look like a plastic cylinder with a cone inside don't spread the light very well and you end up with light and dark spots. THere aren't enough bulbs in the stock cluster to get away with less than optimal lighting.

dash does not need to be pulled for the booster. Actually I suspect it would be impossible to do the booster with the dash down. You have to undo the 4 bolts holding it to the firewall from up around the top of the brake pedal. Unless the dashboard was completely out of the car (and theres no reason to do that) you probably can't even reach them.

and the ECM also would be near impossible to swap with the dashboard out for the same reason.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Gadget!!! I'm not so afraid of pulling the dash anymore, but I'm also relieved that I don't have to do that. 5-way LED. Will do.

Packman

Comment

Working...
            X