No announcement yet.

Popping window motor fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bah. I bet the motor portion is the same 89+ but the drive gear changes 92+.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok even more confusing, the interchange info is all over the place, showing different shapes and directions of the motor. IE I used Hollander interchange at Pull A Part for an 89 Grand Marq and a 91 Grand Marq. Both showed an 85 Cougar, 86 LTD (baby Vic, predecesor to a Taurus), 90 Mark VII and a 90 Bronco. I pulled all of them from the passenger door. Each one is different :lol: Pulled a Mustang one as was indicated as correct for the car, aimed differently. Pulled one from a 89 Taurus, shaped differently.

You can't win.

Motorcraft Interchange, Dorman Interchange, Hollander interchange all have different answers.
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Negative.

Old style motor in early 89's, new style motor in the late 89's. Parts book should show the build date cutoff. But I'm finding that a lot of items that where specific to build date on the '89's no longer are showing that footnote. They've taken the lazy way out and lumping all 89's into the newer catagory.

Old motor is the large round cylinder.
        New motor is a flatened rectangle.
        one mounting hole is in a different location. My 89 has both holes in it. Old motor may not fit properly in the sheet metal of the newer door due to its larger diameter.
        May need to swap wires in the connector to turn in the correct direction.
        The pinion gear sticks out different depths on the old and new motor. You cannot just swap motors. The new style regulator and motor is more compact and tighter together. Put a new motor in place of an old one and the gear will not properly mesh and strip out if you insist on trying to use it. You can mix 'n match the metal gear (the one that sits in the big nylon gear) to get a functional motor.
        No, the motors themselves will not swap.
        And overall, it is not worth the trouble to try and fit newer motor in place of old.

Alex.

Comment

Yea I wasn't finding that - no dates are shown anywhere on the parts websites. Awesome - the date's out there somewhere. I returned the one I grabbed at the junkyard and got a credit. Went to a different one and grabbed an already serviced once in its life front right motor from a 91 Vic @ the yard, and brought that home (not a reman, still a Ford motor w/a new gear kit). I see the difference now, comparing a motor from the 87 and the 91. Your notations for the differences are spot on. Good information Alex/GM_Guy

The dead motor I pulled out of my 91 is aftermarket reman - and is now in the scrap metal pile.
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Working...
          X