Popping window motor fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping window motor fix

The clutch mechanism gets stripped out. Remove the motor, pull the cover, clean the nylon gear and metal triangle part that has the gear teeth on it. Mix up some JB weld or JB kwik. I used kwik. Fill the nylon part almost to the top of the inner ring. Place the metal part into it, and run a bolt through that fits snugly to keep both pieces aligned as the epoxy cures. After curing, the mess on the nylon gear pops off with a screwdriver. Re-grease gear and assemble everything. Basically a free fix.
    Attached Files
    Maintaining Grandma's 84 CFI GM for her

I just slot in 3 7/16 ball bearings. less mess and remains repairable in the future should the plastic gear break.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm the only wierdo who actually fixes these with the plastic plugs instead of using things that will allow heads to be crushed in the mechanism.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just swap out the entire gear set as I get them at good prices and don't need to change them that often!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I do the plugs also.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I did two with the replacement plastic bushings and they both went bad again after a few years. Ball bearings from then on for me!
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

after replacing the same door plugs TWICE in the same year from them MELTING (deforming) in the heat... I used bearings and said F! those bushings.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Looking at the picture at the beginning of this thread, my PWM is different. The E3AF-14553-ASA motor that came out of my 90 CVPI is made different. Might be why my Dorman 74410 plastic bushings wouldn't work. Internal specs are different. I'll see if I can get a camera and take a pic.

Comment

my front door window on my vic would destroy those plastic/nylon ones. the ball bearings haven't budged yet.

Comment

Buttoned my driver's side today. Will be returning the Dorman 74410 bushings. I was able to find (at Lowes Home Improvement) some nylon spacers .450" dia. These worked perfectly. I hope the darn things don't break again anytime soon. The "hack" that put the rebuilt motor in from the NC HP garage stripped some screws and broke out the retaining screws for the power door lock switch. It's working now and the door does NOT rattle !

Comment

Looking at the picture at the beginning of this thread, my PWM is different. The E3AF-14553-ASA motor that came out of my 90 CVPI is made different. Might be why my Dorman 74410 plastic bushings wouldn't work. Internal specs are different. I'll see if I can get a camera and take a pic.
                      Yes there are two different window motor gears. Mid 89 is the changeover year. Your motor will be the "flattened" one, and the internal gear is different (smaller diameter).

Both early and late motors have a 7 tooth gear, late motor gear does not stick out as far and will not work in an older car unless you mix'n match the gear assembly (Regulator is slightly different. Early pinion, late nylon gear, and early cover plate (modified as hole #3 is closer to the pinion center line, but the early doors surprisingly have the hole)). Put one together for my '89 once since I had a later window motor kicking around.

Just FYI, those nylon bushings are an extremely tight fit, you almost need three hands to position everything and force it all backtogether.

Alex.
                      Last edited by GM_Guy; 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I've used delrin plastic torque pins in the past. Now I buy aluminum off ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F150-Ex...87fd06&vxp=mtr
                        1989 Lincoln TownCar with Mark VI Front Clip, 3G Alternator, Hella Headlights, Dual exhaust, FlowerMaster 70 series, '90 tubular exhaust manifolds, 1" Phenolic Spacer, Bored out stock EGR Spacer, 60mm HO TB, CVPI Power Steering Box, 18" Niche Alloy's, Monroe Sensatracs.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                          Yes there are two different window motor gears. Mid 89 is the changeover year. Your motor will be the "flattened" one, and the internal gear is different (smaller diameter).

Both early and late motors have a 7 tooth gear, late motor gear does not stick out as far and will not work in an older car unless you mix'n match the gear assembly (Regulator is slightly different. Early pinion, late nylon gear, and early cover plate (modified as hole #3 is closer to the pinion center line, but the early doors surprisingly have the hole)). Put one together for my '89 once since I had a later window motor kicking around.

Just FYI, those nylon bushings are an extremely tight fit, you almost need three hands to position everything and force it all backtogether.

Alex.
                          What are the early versus late year cut offs? IE I need a Driver Rear power window motor for my 1991...can I use one from an 88?
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

I would think you could use one from a 79-91. Also, they cross over... so left front fits right rear and right front fits left rear. Doesn't have to be from the exact same door.

I need to fix the gearing in my driver rear door. Something causes the works to hang if I roll that window all the way down. Gotta beat on the motor to get it to come back up.

Comment

Just doing research. Apparently 79-88 use one part, and 89-91 use another. As the parts stores are listing them separately. Figures :\
                              -Nick M.
                              Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                              03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Working...
                              X