85 CFI to EFI conversion parts list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 CFI to EFI conversion parts list

Since my 85 doesn't seem to be going anywhere right now, I think I'll do an EFI swap on it just for the heck of it. There's some great tech threads on here, but the parts list in them is always kind of vague, and I'm a noob to this pushrod stuff. Right now there's an 89 I can grab parts off of so I want to get as much as possible while I can.
    I know I'll need the engine harness, and the PCM, and I have a few MAFs and sets of injectors laying around that I can use. What else do I need exactly? I can figure out the swap stuff, just need an exact list of what I'll need to have. I might do an HO swap at the same time if I can get the parts, or might save it for a later date.
    1985 2 door LTD 127k miles, Dodge Charger 18" police wheels.
    2003 P71, 100k, 5.4L engine, eaton m112, other stuff.
    Sold: 2003 P71, 2002 P71, 1996 Town Car

no MAF needed. It's still speed density EFI on the boxes (except 90/91 cali only cars - very rare and not actually a desired system). you'll need the entire EFI hardware from the lower intake UP. Of course, vacuum lines and such would be needed to be re-routed. all you would need in addition for the HO conversion is the HO cam and compatible ECM (MAF if using a mass-air ECM and then add/move some wires to the 89 wire harness). The panther EFI intake is equal to an 86 mustang gt, so it's not a real big deal if you can't get 87+ top end or GT40 tubulars for the HO swap. I'd do heads as well if going with the tubulars and then you'd pretty much be required to do the mass-air swap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Along with the upper & lower (and everything attached to them) ECM and wiring harness (and everything plugged into the harness) you will also need:

Passenger side exhaust manifold (the CFI one has no hole to accept an O2 sensor) and two O2 sensors
      Swapping the exhaust manifolds can be a PITA, if you pull one, you are almost halfway through the hard part of swapping to mustang exhaust. If you do go Mustang, you will need mustang O2 sensors, since they are further down the system and have longer wires.
      If you want to put off swapping the manifold, it will not be disastrous to run it with only one (one none) O2 sensors, it will just default to pig rich.

Throttle cable, TV (throttle valve) cable (goes to the transmission), the bracket mounted to the transmission to hold the TV cable, cruise control cable (use your ball) and the TV lever itself, attached to the transmission.

The two short lengths of fuel line between the fuel rail and the flexible sections between the engine & frame rail. Get the quick connect fitting going in the the flexible section too, you can use it to splice the lines into the CFI lines.

An airbox of some sort

Since it is EEC-IV CFI, you can use the same distributor, coil, TPS, and MAP sensor.

Some years of boxes have the coil mounted on the fender, so if you wind up with that wiring, you may have to re-locate the coil, or peel the coil wiring out of the harness so you can use it. The coil is in a different place regardless for SEFI cars, so you will need a coil mount bracket if it can't stay in the original location. I had already moved mine, so I don't know that it can't stay right where it is behind the alternator if you make some slack in the wiring.

Also, where the SEFI ECM harness goes into body harness on the driver fender and by the heater hoses, cut off the body side connector and leave some wiring pigtails, this makes the CFI to SEFI splices easier. If you don't wan't to chop up your CFI harness, you can always harvest pigtails from a CFI car too, to make it plug-and-play, without molesting either of the harnesses.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
      X