No announcement yet.

Window Motor Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Miamibob: I had to skidoo early to make a meeting and no internet at home.

The car is a 1986 Crown Vic 4-door 5.0L EFI

The Problem: Window goes down but will only go half way up and then binds. I noticed 2 small aluminum pieces that look like they were mushed in and sheered off of whatever they were holding. I noticed that the bracket that holds the window motor moves with the window gear. I was under the assumption that the motor stays put and the gear moves. I don't know the anatomy of windows, but I'm not sure anything is supposed to move aside from the window gear, the motor that turns it, and the window itself. When I removed the motor to get a better look, the bracket will move out of alignment with the 3 holes in the door panel. When I reinstalled the motor, I had to hold the bracket in place with a screwdriver and then install the motor. I don't remember having to do that last time I switched motors (last summer; rear door). Here are pics of what I found.

Are these the plastic pieces you're referring to? I only found 2 at the bottom of the door.

Packman

Comment

I thought your car was newer and had the regulator that is cable driven. On yours, the motor DOESN'T move as it is bolted to the inside door skin. It's plastic gear moves the metal gear, on the regulator and that moves the window up and down. Not sure how the window is attached to the regulator as I have never had to research it. Usually the motors are good and it is simply the plastic pieces, inside the gear set, that are bad.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I believe this video:
        http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post615971
        covers what miamibob is referring to.

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        ... Usually the motors are good and it is simply the plastic pieces, inside the gear set, that are bad.
        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-03-2014, 11:52 AM.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

on the older regulators, if there's a tooth missing, it'll jam up at that point. Only way to really find out is to take them apart and watch everything and see what it's really doing.

That said, if you've replaced the window motor bushings before (or never have and they're probably shredded with little bits everywhere), there may be a broken goober in the gear teeth keeping stuff from turning.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

As was said you need to take apart the gear area of the motor and clean it COMPLETELY. Even if you run it out of the car it may appear fine because it is not under a "load".

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

I tried both motors as I had a replacement in the basement. I knew several years ago that I would probably be back in that door again. Both motors display the same symptoms. I am thinking as you mentioned a few posts ago that the bracket that holds the motor became detached from the inner door skin. There are 2 holes several inches above the window motor access holes that I don't remember seeing before. Perhaps they were rivets of some sort that got mushed and severed? I took Wednesday off to run errands, but I may take another look at the bracket and see if the 2 holes match up with the door skin. I don't think anything is supposed to move except the window slider and gears.

Packman

Comment

Those were the rivets holding in the window motor bracket. It moved just enough to bind the arm. I bought a variety of stainless 1/4" bolts, washers, nuts, and lock washers. Spent a 1/2 hour getting my fingers behind the panel to get the bolts in place. Everything is A okay Thanks guys

Packman

Comment

What size 1/4" bolts worked best?

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                    What size 1/4" bolts worked best?
                    I found that the 1/4" x 3/4" bolt worked the best. The 1/4" x 1/2" didn't have enough thread sticking through to feel safe.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                      I found that the 1/4" x 3/4" bolt worked the best. The 1/4" x 1/2" didn't have enough thread sticking through to feel safe.

Packman
                      Thanks! Got to do the passenger motor for the '95 so I'll see what the best fit is. Guess it will happen eventually.....

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post

Packman
                        Thanks! Got to do the passenger motor for the '95 so I'll see what the best fit is. Guess it will happen eventually.....

Comment

in the 95, the motor is sandwiched with the regulator to the door. The "bolts" are actually screws that go into the plastic body of the regulator.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            in the 95, the motor is sandwiched with the regulator to the door. The "bolts" are actually screws that go into the plastic body of the regulator.
                            Thanks for the info! Had the passenger side door panel off, a few years ago, to replace the factory speakers with aftermarket better ones but never took notice of the window motor setup. Hopefully it will get done before Christmas but the way I am feeling that might slip...

Comment

Working...
                            X