Wiper weirdness ('90-'91+?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiper weirdness ('90-'91+?)

So the wipers on the '91 have always been a bit wonky... the multifunction switch is usually the main culprit but I think I've ruled that out.
    Usually when the contacts in the switch get dirty/go bad I hear a buzzing sound from the switch and wiggling/tapping the switch will make it act right. Mine did this at first, and I've fixed a few fords at work that acted the same way. You can pop the ends off those and clean the contacts up, sometimes that's all it needs. It worked for a while in mine, then I a got a switch out of a low mile early aero. Eventually that one needed cleaning up too and everything was fine & dandy until recently.

The high/low works fine but the intermittent is all choppy when it acts up (it comes and goes), pausing at random spots for varying amounts of time.
    I was about to go on a mini road trip on a rainy day when they started acting up, so I went and bought a new switch figuring mine was done for. They worked fine for the trip but the next day were acting up again.
    So then I track down the delay module, tapping it didn't seem to have an effect. New ones are pricey but I noticed Rock Auto's listing seemed to think that this part was the same from '90-'00, giving me hope.
    Recently I harvested a module from the only 90-91 panther there and a 96 GMQ. The '96 part is a little smaller but plugs right in, but didn't work at all. The '90 module seemed to fix it... until they started acting up again!

It's possible the junkyard module is bad too but I wanted to consult the mangs before shelling out 100 bucks for a new one... (if I get fed up enough with it before I get to an out-of-town junkyard).
    Has anyone had their wipers act up like this and turn out to be the motor?
    Anyone ever had the delay module for sure go bad on a 90-91?
    I've been assuming the motor is ok since it always works for high/low speeds. I can't seem to catch them acting up while it's parked so I can try tapping the motor with something... quite aggravating!
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

The Grand Marquis I have pauses at the highest point in the intermittent settings. Sometimes. I thought it may be the switch because I kinda have to wiggle the button to get the windshield washers to spray and I hear the clicking of the wiper control module sometimes too. I don't want to replace the motor as the high speed on that is faster than any other vehicle's wipers that I have ever used.
    For the record, I believe they use the same switch and module up to 1995. In 96 they changed the switch slightly.

Comment

You have a couple to work with, crack one open and see if it has bad solder joints or failed electrolytic caps in it.

Alex.

Comment

Might be the parking cam in the motor itself. I think the intermittent function relies on the park cam to work properly in order for it to cycle. I know when that goes bad, the wipers tend to park with the blades straight up.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X