Replace Hood Light Bulb with LED ? 906 bulb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Hood Light Bulb with LED ? 906 bulb

I misplaced my 906 bulb which is the underhood bulb for the Marauder. Boxes take the same bulb.

I was thinking about replacing it with an LED. Underhood conditions are tough. Anybody have any luck with this? Any old 906 led or just particular ones?

Jay
    Last edited by jaywish; 05-01-2015, 01:06 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Anything with a wedge base ought to work. Could even go for a strip light, or those fits anything dome lights and wire it in.

Alex.

Comment

So you think any LED would hold up to underhood conditions?
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Any decent quality LED bulb 194 base should do fine. If you can find one that's enclosed, that would be better. The open circuit board style will probably not last long.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The LED's themselves should hold up to any vibration, but the solders could fail depending how bad it is. My main concern is that eventually they will get dirty and might be hard to clean since most of them have exposed bare LEDs and little circuit boards. Also, LED light isn't really the best to 'see' with, unless its a super bright high power LED or one made into a housing meant to do so, like a flashlight or work light. A regular LED bulb replacement might wind up giving you less light to see with than an incandescent bulb! But, the ones like I have been using are definitely super cheap these days, and are worth playing around with ideas like this just to see how they do!
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I bought some phillips dome light lamps for the Taurus housing I put in the box (that did not leave with the box) that where extremely bright. See whats available from phillips lighting in a wedge.
            But thats why I suggest getting one of those dome light panels with some generic lamp connectors that are meant to fit behind your existing dome light. THey put out significant light.
            I suppose the other question is, do you want to stay with something that is a direct fit, or are you willing to break out of the mold and just use the factory holder/switch as a connector?

Comment

On the Marauder I want to keep it as it came from ford. The wagon on the other hand has nothing much stock left in it.

When you say dome light panel, do you mean like this?
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AIMGNG5XA4FRY
              Last edited by jaywish; 05-02-2015, 12:55 PM.
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Somewhat. Never seen one like that before. The panels I've seen around here have a few different lamp bases with wires comming out to a small connector, and then the led panel had a mating connector and short pigtail so you could mount the led panel where you wanted it.

Alex.

Comment

That one looks pretty neat Jay! But I'd definitely think it would wiggle loose and fall out from bumps/vibrations, as big as it is. I'd be looking for a small 12V LED work light to mount under the hood It wouldn't be too hard, even if you're not familiar with wiring stuff.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I don't think the one I posted would hold up well though I thought it would stay in the socket.
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I put 2 of the 48 bulb slabs up on the front part of the hood where they face back at an angle. You don't see them with the hood open. Lights it up bright as heck. 3m backing has been on for 4 years. Seems to be a spot that avoids a lot of dirt although it's not daily driven.
                      sigpic
                      89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                      "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                        I put 2 of the 48 bulb slabs up on the front part of the hood where they face back at an angle. You don't see them with the hood open. Lights it up bright as heck. 3m backing has been on for 4 years. Seems to be a spot that avoids a lot of dirt although it's not daily driven.
                        I really like this idea.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                        X