No announcement yet.

A/C Compressor Doesn't Always Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang, glad my a/c works, perhaps I should start stocking some of these parts pre-emptive-like. It's f'in summer here all year so a/c is a must. I still have r12 too so it's gonna suck if I ever have to recharge it.

Comment

I'm thinking that in a pinch you could just jumper the thing and turn it off then back on once the evaporator starts to freeze over, buying you time until the one comes in. We're thinking the one she got is defective as it started doing it again the other day.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Defective parts suck dammit! Lol.
        So does not being able to find the fan clutch we need for it. Can't even find a store that will even order it for us.
        Last edited by AshleyTheGreat; 07-26-2015, 09:25 AM.
        1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Well, not a motorcraft part that is. Can't find Motorcraft belts either.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            Dang, glad my a/c works, perhaps I should start stocking some of these parts pre-emptive-like. It's f'in summer here all year so a/c is a must. I still have r12 too so it's gonna suck if I ever have to recharge it.
            not really. R12 isn't as stupidly expensive as it was for a while. for a car thats got a working R12 system and just needs a top-up, I'd buy a can and do it without a thought. You can get them for 35 bucks a can on ebay. It would cost you more to convert it to anything else.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

35 bucks ain't so bad when 134a is going for about 20 bucks over here. I remember before I converted the Fireturd over it was about 90 bucks for a lb. I just convert everything once it needs a charge though. I waited years to convert the bird because I thought there would be a noticeable decrease in cooling ability but that car still freezes my face off and so do our Fords.

Comment

Demand went way down, so naturally the cost with it. I've seen cans of R12 on Craigslist, the flea market, yard sales, etc. If I had a box or any other car with R12 I'd keep it as long as I could. I don't care what anyone says, on systems designed with R12, 134a just doesn't have the same cooling capacity. I'm saying it doesn't do the job, the car just won't be the freezer it was.

My 89 MGM was R12 and my 89 LTC was converted 134, so I do have a pretty good reference point.

By the way you want cold A/C? Get anything from the 70s with that giant Frigidaire compressor. My 79 Town Coupe would blow frost (like opening a freezer) on a humid day.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Well that's what all the literature suggests because of the differences between the two and blah blah chemist/physicist speak. What I read years ago was that the compressor needs to be altered in some way and you need a bigger condenser for 134a. I thought you NEEDED those things in order to convert a car over when I was in my teens, turns out you don't unless you're a fanatic. The Firebird has been in the family since '95, I remember how cold that was when it was R12 and it's still cold enough that frost comes out of the vents on ultra humid days, I'd say it's 90-95% as cold as it was. My turd 2011 Colorado sucked, even when it was fresh off the dealer lot, window sticker and all. My 85 LTD would get so cold the evaporator core would freeze up, with 134a. I think that was because the switch failed but failed opposite of Ashley's. Car ate two compressors though too. I think anything with the older style compressors works well, I'm really impressed with our TC's. Past few days it's been about 90 degrees and well over 60% humidity but not inside the plush interior of our sleds. Gets so cold in there our glasses fog when we step outside haha.

Comment

The 134a doesn't work as well, but some systems have enough condensor capacity that it doesn't make a huge difference. Most Panthers convert OK. If you own a Fox car, the AC really takes a dump when you convert it. My next pet project with my fox is to switch the condensor out to an SN95 type. They are more efficient and it should improve performance a fair bit. I may look into doing this on the Towncar too, but it would mostly depend on where the pipes land. I really don't want to get into custom hoses. I believe you can get factory hoses to convert a Fox to SN95 evaporator, so that makes it considerably less irritating. I have AC issues on the Towncar largely related to the underdrive pulley. The compressor and the fan move less air at idle than with stock stuff, so my AC in traffic really blows.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh yeah, mechanical fan blues. Colorado was the same way and these things are on the same page. Turns out we both need clutches for our fans but Ash's is just terrible. If you're moving past 30 it's ok but under that and you can feel the air get warmer. Firebird is always icy with it's electrical fan, well, colder when it's moving but even in stagnant Dream Cruise traffic you're good n cold.

Comment

Does anyone have a spare O-ring for that compressor cut-out switch they are willing to part with? Mine appears to be stretched and as a result is leaking refrigerant to empty in about a week. I may try putting plumber's tape on the threads as an attempted quick fix. I have bought a couple of them now but the thickness of the O-ring is too small, also leading to leaks.
                        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

If you don't mind waiting I was planning on hitting the yards this weekend and can nab a few.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            If you don't mind waiting I was planning on hitting the yards this weekend and can nab a few.
                            Sounds good man. PM me when you have some spares and we can work out shipping details then.
                            Keep up being great.
                            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

Will do!

Thanks, LoL. Looking back I think "DerekTheGreat" was a poor choice, people probably think I've got some sort of superiority complex but that couldn't be any further from the truth. Was my old handle for my Warrior in Diablo I. Couldn't use the handle I wanted on another forum but wanted my name in it and there ya have it. "DerekTheAbider" or "Sparetire" would've worked.

Comment

Yard run was successful: We got a GT40 upper intake and at least four of those O-rings you need, you can have them all.

Comment

Working...
                                X