What is This Thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is This Thing?

What is this vacuum controlled thingy? It's located on the passenger side wheel well. I think it’s for the air pump. It’s been a long time ago since I removed the air pump I’m not sure.

I’ve already plugged off the 3 lines coming out of it from underneath, which makes me think I did it back when I removed the air pump. I would like to remove the whole thing if possible without causing any issues.

Can I remove it and plug off the lines?

Click image for larger version

Name:	VacLines.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1303160

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

Been a while but think its part of the EGR system.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Vacuum regulator and EGR controller for EGR Valve.

Comment

I've removed the EGR too. I think the black line went to the EGR. What about the other 2 vacuum lines?

Click image for larger version

Name:	VacLines(2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1278277

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

One I WOULDNT REMOVE THE egr IT HUTS FUEL ECONOMY tWEEK ING THE egr IS PART OF WHAT HELPED ME GET 32.9 mpg OUT OF cREAMY before I WENT WITH fi INTAKE THAT DIDNT HAVE egr PASSAGES .

It my also have something to do with the carbon canister
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

GReen is to the EGR. I would put that one back.

Red is vacuum source.

The other two are for the smog pump. Forget which is which, but one is thermactor air bypass, the other is thermactor air diverter. Bypass shuts the system off by dumping air from the pump to atmosphere. Diverter switches it from the back of the heads to the converter.

The one for the carbon canister hangs in space between the motor and the battery tray area.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
              One I WOULDNT REMOVE THE egr IT HUTS FUEL ECONOMY tWEEK ING THE egr IS PART OF WHAT HELPED ME GET 32.9 mpg OUT OF cREAMY before I WENT WITH fi INTAKE THAT DIDNT HAVE egr PASSAGES .

It my also have something to do with the carbon canister
              Too late, I've been running without one for about 5 years now. During this HO upgrade, I packed the upper and lower intake manifold ERG path with aluminum foil.
              Last edited by BigT; 09-27-2015, 12:58 PM. Reason: Forgot quotes

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                GReen is to the EGR. I would put that one back.

Red is vacuum source.

The other two are for the smog pump. Forget which is which, but one is thermactor air bypass, the other is thermactor air diverter. Bypass shuts the system off by dumping air from the pump to atmosphere. Diverter switches it from the back of the heads to the converter.

The one for the carbon canister hangs in space between the motor and the battery tray area.
                So if I'm hearing right, I can remove this device and plug the red vacuum source, and I should be OK.

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

I would put the EGR back on. You need the red line to feed the single, upper solenoid. The lower two can get unhooked, but leave them plugged in to kill off a couple of error codes related to removing them.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

meh... my 88 gives zero shakes about those smog pump related ones missing (the CEL doesn't light up). But since I know those codes, when/if I read the codes on that car... I ignore those.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

almost nothing makes the light come on. If you scan it with those unplugged, it spits out some more codes. Doesn't function differently but its more codes to look up and figure out if you can ignore them.

Comment

Working...
                      X