Cooling system considerations when converting to R-134A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a lot of people here have converted to R-134A. To you I ask, have you run into cooling issues with running the newer type of refrigerant?

I seem to recall some suggesting that an electric cooling fan is essential if converting to R-134A. Any truth to this? I would like to upgrade my cooling system, but I don't know if it would really be worth it. I don't use my car for towing or anything heavy duty. I mostly just do highway driving to and from work. I recently replaced my fan clutch which seems to have cured my cooling issues. The system still needs a really good flush.

Would a stock cooling system be up to the task with a R-134A conversion? I plan to replace all the AC components by the end of the year and would like to have the AC working for next summer.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

My '89 was running R-134A with stock everything without a problem, but I'm also in MI where it probably doesn't get as hot as in TX (or at least not for as much of the year as in TX).
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

My '88 and Ashley's old '89 are running 134a without issue.. It was 95 this past Sunday or so and the Auto feature was able to keep the car cool using low to medium fan speeds. Will freeze your face off if requested. I also have expensive ceramic tint and it helps loads with repelling the solar heat. Also, Ashley's car once had R-12 and I noticed no difference after she had it converted.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

My converted '89 will freeze you out, i need to put a good gauge in but so far I don't think there is any extra load on the engine cooling system.
        sigpic

Comment

Electric fan is a great help in stop and go traffic as the efficiency of the mechanical fan at idle is not very good for AC. Newer condenser may solve that though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My box was an ex-Florida car with an r134 conversion done down there, it could probably make icicles. If you got cooling problems, probably just need to put in a new fan clutch.

Alex.

Comment

nope, no issues. If it overheats, its probably the fan clutch and/or radiator. Start with the clutch, that will make the AC suffer too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The '87 is R134a. Stays nice and frosty on the coldest setting. An electric fan similar to the later Aeros may help at low speed or while sitting, but for the most part if the system is in good order everything should work just fine without extra help.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Since I had all engine coolant leaks fixed, only if I switch off "Max A/C" the air gets slightly warmer but not warm enough to be abnormal. I still have the clutch fan, too. It was converted before I took ownership of my CP. staying on Max AC is nice and cool even in traffic.

Since this happened in my '93 F150 Flareside after the AC was fixed, I figure this is normal without electric fan.
                  1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                  2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                  1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                  2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
                  2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
                  2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
                  2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

If you live in a state where your water is full of minerals you will have a clogged radiator, you can get a 4 core radiator from Summit racing along with a fan clutch. Good luck.

Comment

My 89 and 90 have a few new hoses or maybe an evaporator core. Otherwise original condensers as well as compressor with R134a. Fan clutches are working fine. As my friend says "you could hang meat in here!" - electric fan is not needed if system is in proper shape - meaning good fan clutch and good flow across radiator, condenser and Evap core with no leaks.

And I live in the oven of the south with humidity - somewhat similar to Texas
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like I'm set.

To clarify, I was having cooling issues until I replaced my fan clutch a couple weeks ago. That also seems to have really helped my fuel mileage. I seem to remember reading somewhere that cooling issues can affect fuel mileage, so that makes sense.

Sounds like I just need to get a flush done and install new AC components and I'll be good.
                        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Working...
                        X