LED vs H1/H4 headlight upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am currently waiting and working on upgrading the alternator to a 3g and doing the headlight relays and upgrading stock battery cables. After that my main upgrade I want is headlights, I was thinking about LED and the H1/H4 upgrades and wondering if anyone is running the LEDs on the old box? I deliver pizza at night and extra useable light would be really nice for finding addresses lol. Plus driving safety. I've searched but I haven't found anything about the LEDs, but they are the same size as soo many vehicles including big rigs so I figure the kinks should be worked out by now and price is down low enough to get them into consideration.

Thanks!

Nice beam pattern on these; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXysfwpJ6CY

Comment

Dang, those are very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
        JWs is what we run on the MDT, in the larger 5x7 size tho (cause that's what it takes). Had E-code H4s in ridiculous power outputs before that, those beat the snot outta regular sealed beams for sure in both light output and pattern, but the JWs are even nicer.

Also, keep in mind there are only a few reputable LED manufacturers out there who actually know WTF they're doing. JW, TruckLite/Grote, Nolden, and forgot who the other one was. Much as I love Maxxima's other LED products, I have my doubts regarding their LED headlamps. And the internet is flooded with other relatively inexpensive lights, however one needs to be aware that with them the devil is in the details - a flood beam is NOT a low beam, and a spot beam is NOT a high beam, regardless of how hard ebay sellers and offshore drop-shippers and other such shysters try to convince buyers otherwise.

But yes, 4x6 is a standard headlamp size for commercial vehicles, and yes that market is largely what drove the good manufacturers to come up with what they came up with. The others, well they're just capitalizing on the LEDs=UberCool mindset that seems to be going around these days, light pattern and focusing is not as important with them as the sheer amount of light being put out. Which is obviously not good for headlights, as anyone who's been blinded by lousy HID conversions can attest to.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

They spendy though... but in this case, you really do get what you pay for. $500 for a pair of JWs is quite a lot though. As much as I would like to have better lights on my beater... It's not worth that much to me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

This is what I am running in mine. They are decent.

Dapper Lighting headlight kits embody the classic look while substantially upgrading the quality and spread of light.

Comment

I have Hella H4/H1 on my Colony Park. The H1's had stickers on them saying "OFF ROAD USE ONLY." I can see why because they are so bright and shoot really far it's comical when they're on. Totally worth it.
              1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
              2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
              1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
              2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
              2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
              2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
              2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

Speaking of spotty led's, same channel has a somewhat decent comparison of various LED's of the h7(or whatever they happen to be);

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  They spendy though... but in this case, you really do get what you pay for. $500 for a pair of JWs is quite a lot though. As much as I would like to have better lights on my beater... It's not worth that much to me.
                  The truck ours got installed on is a special case, to the point that if someone was to hit it and actually cause any real damage, even if it was a fender-bender type of deal, there's a very high chance would not survive that accident. Especially if it's not me behind the wheel, but the other driver on the insurance policy.

Originally posted by longroof87 View Post
                  I have Hella H4/H1 on my Colony Park. The H1's had stickers on them saying "OFF ROAD USE ONLY." I can see why because they are so bright and shoot really far it's comical when they're on. Totally worth it.
                  The brightness and far-shooting of any headlamp is greatly dependent on the bulb it's equipped with and how it's aimed. 110W pointed straight ahead and level will reach way out there alright. It's also not exactly DOT-legal. For that matter, any dedicated E-code lamps (so basically any sealed beam conversions) are not DOT-lgeal. Unless it's a motorcycle, then it's totally kosher. WTF?! So the "offoroad use" sticker has exactly nothing to do with how the lamp performs, and everything to do with the governing authorities on the matter being their typical knuckle-dragging selves they always have been.

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                  This is what I am running in mine. They are decent.

https://www.dapperlighting.com/colle...ctor-headlight
                  What's the pattern of these things? I'm guessing you get a set of four where one pair is the low beams and the other is the highs? Is the different pattern built into the projectors, or do you simply aim the one pair higher than the other and toss brighter bulbs in it?
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

I'm perhaps the only person who will tell you to keep the stock sealed beam and just add a relay kit. I can't stand the light pattern of the various replacement options I've been behind the wheel of. Can't see shit. I also tend to hate people who have them in their cars for the same reason. For you people who find it amusing to blind oncoming traffic, eat a dick.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That is 1 thing I like, besides more light, is the pattern on the euro H4 and H1 housings. There is a notch in the pattern which keeps the light from blinding oncoming traffic. They send the light more straight down the road and to the right.

It is actually more of a right triangle pattern.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I can't stand the light pattern of the various replacement options I've been behind the wheel of. Can't see shit. I also tend to hate people who have them in their cars for the same reason. For you people who find it amusing to blind oncoming traffic, eat a dick.
                        And I'm probably the only person you know of who has a dedicated pair of lower-power lower-aim headlamps for use specifically when closely following a passenger car - my headlights sit quite high off the road surface, which typically puts them right at the same level as most passenger cars rearview mirrors, which is hell on the eyes of the person in front of me even if my lights are properly aimed. So I choose to run a dedicated setup that doesn't cause that problem, yea they're not all that good for use as actual low beams, but I don't care, important thing is to not be a dick towards the other person, and I got other low beams for more normal driving conditions anyways.

Seriously tho, not all lights are the same. For example, fuck Sylvania sealed beams in any shape or form - regular cheap ones suck any way you look at them, the XVs have more power but still shit for pattern, and the Silverstars are both stupid bright and IMHO stupidly-patterned. GE sealed beams are from my experience quite a bit better - same amount of light output as the Sylvanias, but much better pattern control, they tend to actually have a good cutoff line like the E-codes do but with a wider spread towards the sides - what that amounts to is better visibility for shit waiting in the ditch to ambush you, yet less glare towards oncoming traffic even if aimed a bit on the high side. Finding fancy GEs on the shelf tho, yeah good luck with that, Sylvania crap is what most stores seem to carry these days. Moving onto the E-codes, even the same brand can have different models that range from good to horrendous. Free-form Hellas, the one with the fancy reflector behind the bulb, IMHO are shit - like Sylvania sealed beams, lots of light but not where you need it. Fluted-lens (look like standard sealed beams) Hellas, much better they are. Actually come to think of it, this is the pattern I've notices with other manufacturers as well - reflector-guide light needs lots more guidance to be useful, lens-guided is usually spot-on where it should be. Of course fluted-lens lamps are not anywhere as cool as the clear ones with the "diamond-cut" reflector, so maybe that's why you've had such bad experience with conversions, people simply go for the cool factor and completely disregard the useful/safe thing.

As for more light off the E-codes like Jay says, unless overwattage bulbs are used it's not really any more light than what a standard low sealed beam provides, 55w is 55w regardless of what housing it's stuck into - it's just less of that light is wasted signaling the extraterrestrial mothership to land, and instead more of it is directed down towards the road where you actually need to see shit. So it still boils down to patterning, and not so much actual power output.

Comment

Very possible. Off the top of my head I don't know what they were, I just recall a distinct wall of black far too close to where I was driving, and absolutely no visibility off to the side. I live in the middle of nowhere, being able to see deer is slightly important. Not sure what is in my car currently but its not anything special. Possibly Sylvania XV. Might not be the brightest, but I can see what I need to.

The blinding by oncoming traffic is a general observation of modern lighting, but aftermarket ones seem to be considerably worse. Don't know how much is light pattern, light color, or aim but in any case, its shit. Increasingly I have problems driving at night because of it.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pretty sure you have the XVs, they're alroght in brighness but still wast too much of their light by throwing it up into the nothingness. And I'm pretty sure the E-code conversions you experience the suck with were the freeform Hellas, next time Sexy John stops by your place he's got the better design with the fluted lens, see if you like them better (you probably will).

I agree with the blinding effect of modern headlamps. They're excellent for one's own vehicle, not so much if one's stuck on the receiving end of them. All that worse with newer trucks after they've been treated to a lift kit and big tires, those truly are horrible to drive against (I suspect this is partially because most folks don't realize that they need to re-aim their lights after raising them another foot above the ground).

Comment

This shows an example of the euro "e" patterned bulb. I can't remember if 200mm is a 2 beam or a 4 beam bulb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-003-42...tXHsEy&vxp=mtr
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X