No announcement yet.

Looking at head units...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing I haven't figured out--if I want to run both dash speakers and door speakers, how would I connect that up? Dare I put them in parallel and run them off the head unit's front speaker outputs, or would 2 ohms be driving the head unit's amp too hard? Or should I run the dash speakers from teh front speaker outputs, the door speakers from the rear outputs, and the 6x9s off the amplifier?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
      crutchfield.com has a nice pioneer that plays mp3's for 94 bucks.....they also give you a free install kit and wire harness adaptor
      Crutchfield is very reputable, but they love to overprice. WoofersEtc.Com they are good too and cheap

Nathan --
      If you up your budget to $150 you can get something pretty nice.

You can hook up your speakers in series and get an 8 ohm final load. But amp would be best route
      Last edited by saiyaneye; 09-10-2007, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
        Okay, I'd appreciate it if it's convenient for ya.
        No pics, but I have the model #. Sony GT series. CDX- GT510

Google it. May be able to get it for 100. It looks a little modern, but not too bad. No really elaborate screen.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
          I can finger the remote without having to take my eyes off the road. If I played with the buttons on the head unit, I'd have to look at it. So, it's a good safety item.
          Point well taken, but it still seems like just one more darn thing to lose underneath the front seats lol

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Don't geta fuckin' sony. sony is crap.
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by boXman View Post
              Don't geta fuckin' sony. sony is crap.
              Agreed, look on eBay for some used units.

Comment

last sony i bought was around 1991.....i got a sony cd player for my truck......what a pos....skipped over every bump......i got a kenwood shortly after......had that till it got stolen in 1997

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

my kenwoods have been sucking pretty bad lately.....time to try pioneer or jvc or panasonic......i havent had a pioneer since the super tuner that came with my 84 vic.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

and the clarion that i got with the turd is a pos too

Comment

Here is another good deal
                      Alpine CDA-9847 [Used]

I have that same unit in my brothers car, a very good unit if you aren't going to be needing anything too flashy. This unit is very easy to use too! If you need help finding an amp for 6" x 9" or door speakers I will be more than happy to help you with that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                        my kenwoods have been sucking pretty bad lately.....time to try pioneer or jvc or panasonic......i havent had a pioneer since the super tuner that came with my 84 vic.

Here are some pretty general descriptions based off of what I played with in the past.

Kenwood - can be nice when you start getting into the $200+ units, but most people don't want to spend that on a Head Unit.

Alpine - (2005 and before), their 06 and 07 lineup is kind of disappointing. They do make some crappy units too, at the least, stay away from the 2004 & 2005 Alpines w/o the rotary volume knob.

Pioneer - Defiantly, they keep pumping out quality units. Obviously don't expect anything too great for until you get above $150ish.

JVC - I havn't got to mess around with any of these recently, I know they make some pretty good budget units.

Panasonic - They make some nice units, a bit pricey though for some of the features you get.

Eclipse - They make some pretty high end crap, but they also have a cheapie lineup.

Audiobahn - ehhh kind of overrated, you can do WAY better for same prices on alot of their crap. I hate Audiobahn w/ a passion.

Jenson - It's been a while since I played w/ one of these, I don't particularly care for this brand

Pyle/Boss/Dual/etc - Stay away from this stuff... Never owned one of these brands, and never will.

Comment

What, if anything, do you know about Denon?

Comment

Denon very good SQ units, or supposed to be, do you have a model #?

Comment

Originally posted by saiyaneye View Post
                              Denon very good SQ units, or supposed to be, do you have a model #?
                              Originally posted by torquelover
                              Denon DCT-950R. I have one, with a remote, too. Used to be in the Vic before I put in an Eclipse DVD headunit. The car is now stereoless. Look into it, if you're interested PM me. (BTW, I have not yet owned another HU with a cleaner signal).

Comment

Working...
                              X