Driving/Fog Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving/Fog Lights

I've been looking into getting fog lights for my car. I'm going to mount them on the bottom of the front bumper. Not concerned on looks, just a set of lights that work well especially in the rain.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Ok..
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

they say amber lenses do better in the fog and snow, and have less glare than white lenses.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

auxiliary lights should NOT be installed under the bumper, the first steep driveway you go through will take them out hardcore. Install them above the bumper, behind the grill, or if you wanna be badass cut your bumper up and install them in there. My fog lights have clear lenses but amber filters on the reflectors, as a result the light is amberish in color and works very well in snow and fog. Also the 55W stock crappy bulbs are now replaced with Sylvania's 100W offroad bulbs, and they do make a difference

Comment

Would a set work behind the grill? I think since I have the older grand marquis grill I can only mount them in front of it?

Also, do you have a 3g alternator or can you run those 100 watt bulbs off a stock alternator?
          Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
          2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
          Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
          Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

I forgot what I was reading...But it said that it doesn't make a difference between the amber and white lenses...If I find it, I'll post a link.

sigpic
            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by 87mefull
              Would a set work behind the grill? I think since I have the older grand marquis grill I can only mount them in front of it?
              They work better than you would think behind the grille, i have some amber ones in there and white ones on the bumper. I think now i would just chose to go with the ones behind the grille though, the ones on the bumper stand out a little too much, and dont seem to do as well in fog as the amber ones. One of the clear bulbs is burned out in this pic but here ya go:
              Attached Files

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
              1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Or you can go really bad ass, and install them IN the grill! Commonly people say that yellow works best. In reality, the physically best light color is green. Green light travels farther than any other color in the visible spectrum.

Yes, below the bumper is a bad idea. Not only will they get removed rather quickly, but being so low makes them less effective. Notice how 4X4 folks put them on top of the truck, it's not because of looks (well, the reason that was started was not for looks).

I plan to upgrade mine as they are not really that bright. Keep in mine that 100watts on 12 volts is about 8 amps.

Watts = Volts X Amps
                Attached Files

Comment

i have not had a problem with mine

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I always liked the look of the Mark VII fog lights and think they could work well on a GM/CV. Only things are the Marchal fog lights are ridiculously expensive, and people might wanna take them. There are many cheaper look a likes out there. I really don't think them hitting would be a big issue as there are many of cars that are much lower to the ground. Depends on where you live as well.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 87mefull
                      Also, do you have a 3g alternator or can you run those 100 watt bulbs off a stock alternator?
                      I have a 3G alternator, I wouldn't try running 460W of lighting (around 40A) on the stock 65A alternator. Although as long as you don't run the fog lights in combination with any of the main headlights you should be alright, your high beams are still more powerful than the fogs even if the latter have the offroad 100W bulbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X