Engine compartment clean up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine compartment clean up

Finnally started on the engine compartment clean up and repaint... it is going to be a LOOOONNGG summer project! here are some pictures so far....

You can see the rust and battery corosion in this picture too....

While trying to find the problem with the fuel pump, I ran into this mess of wires when trying to track down circuits.. it was a mess! So I took the battery out, and found an even bigger mess under the battery tray, So I decided to start redoing under the hood....

After removing the battery tray and cleaning up the area around the battery... one more coat of rust kill then prep for paint...

The wiring I was talking about....

Battery tray after restore... I painted it with bedliner stuff.... came out pretty nice... I will under coat the area under the tray, and drill a few drain holes under it too... as the water collects and stands in the frame rail under it....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Wow, looks like fun!

Can't wait to see the results!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yay for cobbled wiring. Gotta love trying to figure out what on earth the mess is supposed to do. Looks good so far.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

looking good! clean her up.......look like that battery holdown bolt has seen better days.......i degoop parts first with purple power, then rinse em off, and hit em with a sanding disc or a wirebrush, then prime them and paint them with duplicolor engine paint.......make it look brandy new.......that ho cfi air cleaner can be polished mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yes.. Give me time... it will be looking alot better... The battery bolt at the top is painted now... I didn't want to put the bedliner stuff on it... since it is pretty thick stuff... So the top part is now painted black.... I painted the voltage regulator black today... looks brand new now... Hopefully I will get the coil off of the bracket tommorow to get it painted... Then onward!!!

Trying to do it a little at a time... low budget right now... trying to catch up on about 5 months worth of bills, since my last job didn't pay me what they promised... And when I first went back with Advanced, i was at a store in another town.. 27 miles one way.... Now I am back at my old store... 5 miles one way... I will be saving about $300.00 a month just in gas.... I can now got for TWO weeks on ONE tank of gas, instead of THREE tanks a week!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Ooooooooo...

Need full before pics... to compare with after pics lol.
            1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
            1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
            1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

OK, here is "before"... the first day I bought it....

Soon as I get done with the clean up, I'll post "after" pics!

Comment

Picked up a new battery for the car today... A customer bought a new battery, and it went dead, so he brought it back... Well, we told him we needed to check his charging system when he bought it, and he refused... so he brings the battery back saying that it is bad... so we get hime to let us check his charging system, and of course the alternator is bad... But he wants a new battery anyway, even tho we tell him it just needs charged... (Idiot!) So the manager, just to shut him up, swaps it out for a new battery... And puts the other one on charge... about 4 hours later... it is like new... but we can't sell it as new, since it had been installed in a car... So, I get it for the used battery price, because my manager recognized it as being one that would go in my 84.. and he knew I was looking for one... So he put it aside for me... With my discount, came out to about $22.00... And the date code on the battery is 05-07! So it is less than a month old... from time of manufacture... Going tommorow to get the original equipment battery hold down for it... (the old "wire" style that goes across the battery) From NAPA... since they still carry them... Pictures to follow tommorow!

Comment

Originally posted by trwp72 View Post
                  Picked up a new battery for the car today... A customer bought a new battery, and it went dead, so he brought it back... Well, we told him we needed to check his charging system when he bought it, and he refused... so he brings the battery back saying that it is bad... so we get hime to let us check his charging system, and of course the alternator is bad... But he wants a new battery anyway, even tho we tell him it just needs charged... (Idiot!) So the manager, just to shut him up, swaps it out for a new battery... And puts the other one on charge... about 4 hours later... it is like new... but we can't sell it as new, since it had been installed in a car... So, I get it for the used battery price, because my manager recognized it as being one that would go in my 84.. and he knew I was looking for one... So he put it aside for me... With my discount, came out to about $22.00... And the date code on the battery is 05-07! So it is less than a month old... from time of manufacture... Going tommorow to get the original equipment battery hold down for it... (the old "wire" style that goes across the battery) From NAPA... since they still carry them... Pictures to follow tommorow!
                  Awesome, I love the used battery specials!
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Ditto....pics must have more pics! I lovem the battery specials too!
                    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Got 1/4 of the inner fenders painted....

Here is an update...

Got done cleaning up the rust etc on the inner fender.. then primed it...

Close up....

Then the first coat of white....

Second coat... Painted all the way up to where the inner fender breaks over to the outside fender...

Then the bedliner spray under where the battery tray will go....

I found a new set of battery hold down bolts... made specifically for Fords at NAPA, along with the correct top strap, that is made out of a heavy gauge "wire" and rubber coated... More pictures later...

Next part will be fun... I have to take all of the A/C hoses off, all of the Air pump hoses, wiring harnesses, etc, off of the rest of the right inner fender, and firewall, so I can keep painting the engine compartment... There is no way to push or tie all of it back to get into the area to paint it... Then I start on the left side!!! (And then the REALLY fun part... the engine!) I am going to get the intake and four barrel installed when I get to that point... My exhaust man is even going to take the exhaust manifolds off, and use that exhaust manifold stuff that Eastwood Products sells... so even the manifolds will look new!
                      Just a little at a time!
                      Last edited by trwp72; 05-28-2007, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Nice work! I was tidying up that area of the 91 last week and my roomate gave me greif for "wasting my time"
                        Some people just dont understand!!!!!

When you remove the CFI, would you be willing to send it to me, or at least the fabled CFI deflector plate (if it has one) for exeperementaion purposes???

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Deflector plate? You mean the plate on the bottom that the EGR mounts to??

Comment

no... supposedly there was a late production fix to the CFI not distributing fuel evenly to all 8 cylinders due to injection fuel over the throttle butterflies... supposedly there exists a thin plate that goes under the CFI simmilar to a carb restrictor plate, and is suppsed to re-direct fuel/air flow to the neglected cylinders. If it has one, note which way it goes before removal
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Oh, Ok...

Comment

Working...
                              X