Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sedan delivery style wagon, aka metal over the rear side windows...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sedan delivery style wagon, aka metal over the rear side windows...

I have been tinkering with the idea of covering the side rear windows of a wagon with metal/fiberglass/??? and blending it in, so it looks like there never were windows there to begin with.

I had a box hearse once but they just pop riveted some nasty galvanized metal right over the glass and hid it all under the vinyl top. The other side of the glass had headliner material glued right to it. It looked great on the inside.

Has anyone got a picture of a wagon done like this? Real or photochopped doesn't matter.

Opinions?
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

would be neat. Never seen one done like that though. Just get like 50 gallons of bondo and put it over the glass...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

It would be pretty easy. I would pop out the windows then weld in a sheet of metal to do it properly.
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

I think it'd be almost impossible to get it to look straight. But it'd be cool none the less. Even cooler if you hid the rear doors and windows too.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Opera windows! Opera windows!
          1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
          1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
          1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

you'd have some killer blind spots!!!!!!
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              I think it'd be almost impossible to get it to look straight. But it'd be cool none the less. Even cooler if you hid the rear doors and windows too.
              That is true. You could roll a couple of beads in the panel to add to the strength and looks of the panels.
              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

It Can be done...look at the way panel truck conversions have been done in the past...they got it to look straight so can you with the proper prep work first. I would roll a few beads into the metal sheet you will be using and the cut it to be a little bigger then the glass and then weld it up there...the use some Allmetal filler to even it out in the edges...then use plastic filler where it's not straight.
                YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I think it would look awesome if you could pull it off. It would be like a Slicktop Hearse!

No need to roll beads into it to get it to look straight. Just cut out your smooth flat sheet metal piece in the correct shape, and then build some interior braces to Tack on to the inside of the piece for strength. Weld your piece on w/ the braces on the inside, weld your braces to the inside structure of the body, smooth out the exterior sheetmetal warpage with Filler, Prime, Shoot a Guide Coat to make sure every thing is Completely Flat, Paint'er up and your done. With some hard work you could get it to look completely straight, its been done before.

There is a guy on Cardomain that actually made his LTD CV Wagon into a Hearse. I think he just Covered over the rear windows with the Vinyl Top though.

Comment

I think it could be made to look decent with lots of work. What Zwack said about putting beads in the panels is also a good idea.

If IO was going through that much work, I'd make it a two door; and not like that other hideous two door that someone posted on here. Get the doors from a two door and make it work. Now thats a project.... far too ambitious for me.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

could just paint the windows
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        If IO was going through that much work, I'd make it a two door; and not like that other hideous two door that someone posted on here. Get the doors from a two door and make it work. Now thats a project.... far too ambitious for me.
                        That would be even better, a true custom! Of course you'd also have to have the front extended part of each rear QP w/ the small window, which covers the part were the half of the rear door would be on a sedan.

Comment

Working...
                        X