Locked out of the trunk ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locked out of the trunk ....

Question for folks with body experience: Does anyone know how to get the trunk of a sedan open without the key? I seem to have locked my set of extra car keys in the trunk. No remote trunk release, and it doesn't look to me like there's a way to get in through the seatback. So far my best idea is to take the matching lock cylinder out of one of the doors and see if a good locksmith I know of can make a key from it.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

they should be able to make the key from the vin number
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

If the "extra" set is locked in the trunk, where is the original set???

You could remove the seat back and try to fish the keychain out with a coathanger and a flashlight.

Or, if its any cheaper, call a lockshith out and have them pick the trunk lock open.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If you don't wanna damage the Decklid or Lock Cylinder in any way, then you will have no other choice but to Call a locksmith, try and have a key made, or try and fish out your keys through the holes behind the rear seat.

If you wanna get in no matter what, then there are many ways.....:evil:

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
          they should be able to make the key from the vin number
          +1

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
            If the "extra" set is locked in the trunk, where is the original set???
            Heh..... I currently only have one set ... -10,000 for Mikey. :p

And thanks a lot for the replies, everyone! Good news is that I did finally locate the keys (after worrying myself silly all stinking day) ... they were hiding in plain sight under a piece of Wetordry sandpaper. One possible reason to buy some of those little key-dinger fobs or at least put a key rack inside the house for us to all put keys on when we're at home.

Still worrisome (in once sense, anyway) to hear that maybe there really aren't a lot of options for getting the trunk open without keys. Although, the making-keys-from-the-VIN-number is rather encouraging, provided the locks on any given vehicle are indeed original (eventually not to be the case on the Colony Park).

I did give some thought to the notion of making a passthrough seatback that folds down from inside the vehicle .... not sure whether cutting the bracing behind the seatback would have a negative effect on the body's integrity ........ or maybe it'd be more secure (from unscrupulous parking valets, etc.) and also much less intrusive to install an electric remote trunk release and hide the button somewhere that someone who's not me wouldn't think to look.

For some reason, my Cavalier-loving mother in law seemed very confused at the notion that a vehicle wouldn't have any sort of alternate way to open the trunk from the inside of the vehicle, including those newfangled emergency releases inside the trunk itself. I did point out that this particular car is two years older than the earliest Cavaliers, but the fact remains that the remote trunk release was just an extra-cost option that a lot of cars were built without.

Oh, and yes, I think tomorrow I'll almost certainly be visiting the locksmith anyway, and having at least two extra door keys made for this car.

Comment

Yes, always a good idea to have an extra set of keys, or even a couple extra sets. I had an extra set made right after I got the car, as well as replacing the old 20+ yr old original keys, with an NOS Ford Set I got off of eBay. It would have been a helluva PITA of a time if the original key had ever broken off inside the door's lock cylinder.

Comment

Install the power trunk release. I have to open my trunk a lot for people. Doing it without having to get out of the car is nice. If you want, wire it in so that you have to hit the brake pedal or something while pressing said button if you would like some peace of mind.

Comment

I like that idea! That'd be easy to do, too ... could even make the solenoid dependent on the brake lights right there in the trunk. Thanks!

Comment

I keep a spare door key in my wallet... used it twice...
                    2000 Grand Marquis LS
                    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                    Mercury Owners Group member
                    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

I did lock my keys in the trunk once... luckily I have the power popper so I just hot wired the botton with a jump pack. I was about to use one of the cig-lighter plug & pigtails I have (from hard wiring gay plug-in-the-lighter acessories) to jump it.
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark View Post
                        I keep a spare door key in my wallet... used it twice...
                        x1 to that big time.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

In some older cars (I've done this on a '68 LeSabre), you can open the trunk by removing the rear seat. You need a really long screw driver (probably have to make something). The car that I did it on had the locking mechanism exposed, and I was able to turn the catch manually with my screw driver. However, I believe the panther's have an enclosed mechanism, which rules that out.

I don't have a key for my trunk; just the remote release. There is no damger of me losing the key. Hell I can't even lock my keys in the car, because of the fact that my front doors are sans lock rods...
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            However, I believe the panther's have an enclosed mechanism, which rules that out.
                            Some people have been able to escape my trunk unless unconscious. There is a metal slot accessible on the back of the latch in my car.

Comment

I put a key in a little hide-a-key box with a magnet on the back and tuck it up above the gas filler. Open the gas flap, reach up, and there it is. Alternately, you could hide it up on the inside of the fender.
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                              X