Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Dew Wipe Replacement Thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want OEM Ford.........contact Green Sales in Ohio.
    Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
    Has anyone purchased these dew wipes from a place other than JC Witney? They want 36 bucks for shipping to Canada which I think is kinda steep.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
      If you want OEM Ford.........contact Green Sales in Ohio.
      How old will these OEM dew wipes be? If the car is 30 year old and they haven't made them since 1987 are the wipes 1987 vintage? They will probably be hard and brittle then.

Comment

Do not assume they will be hard, depends how they were stored and other environmental factors, they can be returned for a full credit.
        Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
        How old will these OEM dew wipes be? If the car is 30 year old and they haven't made them since 1987 are the wipes 1987 vintage? They will probably be hard and brittle then.

Comment

After re-reading this thread I was thinking of what I went through to take the door apart on the Avanti to change the window motor...........take a look boys this guy did all Stude owners a tremendous service!
          Powerwindowrep0313.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Now you have two roads you can follow. I had both tiny nut and bolts as well as tiny rivets to use to secure the trim to the new dew wipe material. I decided to use the nuts and bolts because I did this on my first install (drivers side door) and it work great, AND rivets are unforgiving. Nut and bolts can easily be removed and reinstalled.

Either road you choose you will have to drill some holes into and through the dew wipe material and dew wipe trim. You can screw and rivet as much as you prefer. The more the merrier. I drilled near the locations the staples were in.

Here you can see the tiny nut and bolts I used as well as some installed on the trim.

I know I'm a little late to this party. Searching this thread, I could find the size of the bolts. If you can remember...what size bolts/nuts did you used?

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
            George Burns

Comment

I ended up using same staples that came out along with the metal tabs that slide inside the doors. Basically what I did was line up new dew wipes with chrome trim where it would sit then using a small nail I hammered new holes in the dew wipes through existing holes in the chrome strip for staples. Then just reinsert the staples into new holes. Basically looks like factory. As far as metal tabs go you can just straighten them out then hammer them into the new dew wipes.
              Last edited by Mr Bean; 06-16-2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                George Burns

Comment

No need for me to answer. I like those recommendations.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hi Man,

Long time. I sorta dropped off the map for a while, but decided to bite the bullets of replacing the window channel and dew wipes.
                    I did the window channel for the right door and it was fairly easy to do. Sure the old felted rubber broke into many pieces, yet also learned a bit how the factory "cut corners" and injected epoxy to fill gaps. I used a razor blade.

The dew wipe is a different story, perhaps at this point solely a preface. The this screw to be located closest to the door hinge is not where it is supposed to be in my mind. I attached a video to show that the screw is approx 1/2" askew and what looks like is behind a heavy piece a rubber for the vent window. I put quite a bit of force on the driver shaft to lift up on the hard rubber.

So...I can check my factory shop manual for the vent takeapart unless there is another way.

Thanks,
                    Mike
                    sigpic
                    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

I cannot make heads or tails of the video but taking the vent window out consists of 4 screws. Three in the frame of the door near the a pillar and one along the dew wipe.
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

In the vid, I attempt to point or align the driver head to the self-drilling screw they used. That little stem poking out is the screw.
                        sigpic
                        1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                        302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                        COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

bloody hell. Good luck getting at that screw.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMikeIT View Post
                            In the vid, I attempt to point or align the driver head to the self-drilling screw they used. That little stem poking out is the screw.
                            I know what your are attempting to do. I just cannot answer as the orientation is messing with me. I cannot get a feel for what is actually around.
                            ~David~

Comment

It's looking straight UP from inside the door at the front corner of the window... passenger side.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah I can make that out too.

I cannot tell what is blocking access to the screw.

I guess what perplexes me further is that if something is blocking you from removing a screw isn't the obvious thing you need to do is remove the blocker?
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X