How to strip/polish an aluminum intake for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to strip/polish an aluminum intake for dummies

Ok so not that any of you are dumb, but I figured I would make this thread as I have yet to do a tutorial.

This is on how to strip/polish an aluminum intake, not intake specfic.. as long as it is aluminum. It may be easier if it is not a cast intake.. and you will see why in a second.

Step 1. get a spare intake... used whatever.. unless you want your car down for a month, or want to take a week of from your job and kill yourself.

Step 2. procure some good industrial finish remover from an auto parts store.. make sure it is aluminum safe. I used the generic finish remover from advanced auto. Remember to use this outside, with a mask and gloves. It sucks to work with if you are not careful. Spray the intake, (or apply if a gelatin form) and let it sit a little longer than the recommended time. I let it set for 30 minutes. Once this is done you can hose the thing off and if it is a good stripper there will be little to no paint left. Use a putty knife/flat blade screw driver to remove the rest.

Step 3. Sanding, this is where it gets tedious. Do not move on in grit until you are SURE you have gotten everything out besides the scratches the current grit is making. Otherwise you get to start all over, and this is slow as it is.

I have started on this with 36 grit paper using a compressed air powered DA and good old fashioned elbow grease. My goal now is to remove the pits from casting. This is after 4 hours of work.

If you look close you can see what is left to sand with 36 grit. It is very messy and I would recommend doing it outside as well. Plus it is nice weather so I figure I will do it in the sun.

More to come.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

I forgot you said you were going to do this. Can't wait to see the progress!!!
    Just make sure you don't kill TOO many brain cells lol
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

I did a similar process for the barrel and bolt on my SKS. I went all the way to 12,000 grit. How far are you planning to take this.
      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
      sigpic

Comment

Planning on 2500... after that the compound should do alright, It is going to be two tone though, gloss black on the underside and half the edge and polished up top with a gloss black plate.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

so much work! They look so nice in the end though.
          I got fed up trying to do my valve covers and quit once I got them to a dull hazy reflection, lol
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

some rubbing compound might help i found a write up on this in a stang forum ill see if i can find the link again. keep up the good work mang! always like to see something different.
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Yeah I can't even think about compound until I am up around 1200 grit at least, because the scratches will show through.. I am going to use mothers mag aluminum polish.. then clear coat it, because straight polished aluminum does not stay looking pretty long.
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Good luck! It'll be something to be proud of whenever you pop the hood when it's done. So will the 2-3 inches on your arms from all that sanding.

I had a dream where my car was "done", and the duraspark box on the fender was polished... hmm...

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I bet it will look pretty good! I only roughed mine up a bit and then painted it black
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Alright... Mostly done with 36 grit... I ran out though and the shit is $50 a box. So I will need to pick some up along with some 60 or 80 for the next go round. here is the progress so far.

-Also note this is about 12 hours of continuous work including the time to strip the paint. It probably has another 20+ to go.
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Going to get some more paper this weekend, after I get the fuel filter and coolant flush out of the way I will be able to work on this more steadily. Im also taking a stab at some trim restoration..... It's more like a blind jab is if playing pin the tail on the donkey.
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

You tried using the polishing rouge on a bench grinder wheel? Would probably be a lot faster.
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Shit that looks good! Thanks for the pic, motivation to get working on my rims tomorrow.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

That's about where i would quit! i admire the dedication needed to get one of those this shiny... and you realize by doing this, you've indirectly committed yourself to polish every other piece of aluminum under to hood as well, right??!!
                            One guy here had a lot of his smaller aluminum bits polished, it looked really slick.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                              That's about where i would quit! i admire the dedication needed to get one of those this shiny... and you realize by doing this, you've indirectly committed yourself to polish every other piece of aluminum under to hood as well, right??!!
                              One guy here had a lot of his smaller aluminum bits polished, it looked really slick.
                              Unfortunately I realize my situation..... If I have arms left or not after this to do it with, that is another question.
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X