No announcement yet.

opinions on paint job colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blushing would be light spots in the color or clear coat fading.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

i say dark ink blue met. (thats the color my 87 mgm is getting ) or kona blue
      sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
      87 mercury grand marquis
      88 crown vic lx
      89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
      89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
      00 ford crown vic lx hpp
      03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
        Blushing would be light spots in the color or clear coat fading.
        Oh, weird. Guess I'm lucky, only have to deal with continuous oxidation that polishes right off if I care to do it. But my paint sucks anyway.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

White, blue, silver, grey, and variations of each, are all you can really do with a blue interior.

White/ blue has always been a favorite of mine.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

You're right, and white works pretty good on wagons anyway.

Comment

I'm thinking I might go with the silver, at least a darker one. Looking at varieties of blue, also I plan on going to a showroom or autobody shop and seeing what they actually look like... internet photos only go so far.

Agreed on using multiple layers of clearcoat whatever I do-- I love the rich depth to it!

Comment

right on the hood, just off center, and then at the same spot on the top of the car, there are white dull spots, like froth at the tips of breakers on an otherwise smooth ocean. I was told --and have no reason to doubt, with only confirmations since-- that this is the clear coat crackling. Like ice is clear and snow is white. I debated sanding through the clear coat and trying to retouch it alone, leaving the paint underneath... but was warned that this is very difficult to do, to not sand into the paint no matter how careful one is, and furthermore that the rest of the paint job is flawed in its chemistry (ford was sued over it) and would blush in the future anyway. Better to take the time to repaint everything.

I think I like the kona blue best of the blues I've looked at

Comment

Yeah, that would seem very difficult to sand through most of the clear without dulling the metallic underneath.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                    I had the Boulevard Cruiser repainted orig white (alabaster?) ten years ago. Since then it's never been garaged, traveled 200k, wrecked twice and needs some rust retouching today.
                    No clear coat. Straight paint.

Donald McCaig
                    1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

I wouldn't suggest trying to repair the clear by its self. Just pick a color you like and get the whole car repainted. But make sure you take it to a legit shop, that will do the color change correctly i.e. do all the jambs, removed the interior close to the jambs so that they can be done correctly, pretty much anywhere thats the factory color should not be when its done IMO. But...BUT lol interior under the carpet and engine bay can slide, unless you wanna shell out the cash.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

What about a 2 tone, like light and dark metallic silver, or light and dark metallic blue?

Comment

Working...
                        X