Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap-on full moon / racing disc

Hi,

I decided to remove the centerline rims and just reinstall the OEM 15" steel rims, since my vogue tyres were 10 years old.
    So rather than installing the LS model locking wire hubcaps, I purchased 15" full moon racing discs. The snap-on type.

Why are they so damn difficult to get on these hubs?
    Do I need to clip one the retaining inserts off or bend the gripping claws with pliers?

Thx.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

your OEM steelies probably arent the right kind for center caps. The police models had "tits" on the raised center part that the hubcaps popped on. The ones on civi models that had full wheel covers are just round with a sort of tapered profile that centers won't go on to.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And do you have a pic of what you bought? are they after-market?
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

these are what you need
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1268511

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
          these are what you need
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]31593[/ATTACH]
          Yep, Those are the hubs I have and came with the car.
          I managed to put them on in like 15 minutes this morning. I guess I was so amped to put them on that I was worried about banging the edges or damaging them. Fit like a glove. Drove about 20-30 miles today at 70 and no slippage or movement.

Pictures:
          Racing discs 15" with Uniroyal P215/70R15 Bearpaw (I think)

Name:	LRW_Disc.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1268512Click image for larger version

Name:	FLQ_prof.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1268513Click image for larger version

Name:	side_prof.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1268514

(snow on car)
          Centerlines removed, Vogues trashed.

Name:	IMG_0506_sm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1268515

I can already feel the difference in the ride from not having 8's the rear, but anyway..
          Last edited by BigMikeIT; 02-11-2012, 05:28 PM.
          sigpic
          302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")

Comment

you want to sell me them centerlines? all 4 are 8" wide rims?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

those look cool on a gm. i had them on a 68 plymouth but i removed them do to the car wheight was 5,000 + and the brakes would heat up and fry my pads cause the moons kept all the heat in.
              1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
              1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                you want to sell me them centerlines? all 4 are 8" wide rims?
                Sorry not yet. I had some turn of events that sorta changed my plans for the next 5 years and will keep the car as long as I can.
                I'm not sure how many $800 repairs I can afford. The rims are 7" and 8" (nice cornering).

I know this goes off topic, but part of the mental frame:
                I understand the local station cuts me a deal on labor and costs, though spending $500+/yr on a safety check no easy nut.

I brought in the car for the annual NYState inspection (of which the owner just does a safety inspection) though finds stuff to repair usually.
                He did some work about 2 years ago (<3000mi) replacing the rear axle seals, went back 3 mos after that and he "fixed" the driver side seal.
                Last week he said he needed to replace the left axle due to a groove worn into it from the bearing and the grease/oil leaking out.

So the 4 new tires costed $500, $100/tire + balancing steel hubs and removal of old tires;
                $195 for the axle (20% markup)
                $ 39 for the inspection
                $ 66 for oil change, *labor, rear seal, brake pads and drum, and 1 strippedout lug nut.

Car runs great, with a mort on the horizon even his fairness is expensive. No AOD repairs needed yet.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X