Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Base Marquis vs Grand Marquis taillights. 1982 thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Base Marquis vs Grand Marquis taillights. 1982 thoughts?

rearended in my Merc about a month ago and looking for new tail lights and bumper. DEFINITELY do not want a grand marquis bumper cause i dont like the black trim. but im debating on the tail lights because im having hella time finde base model Merc tailights for an 82!.. should i hold out to find em or go for the more common grand marquis ones? any you guys have thoughts on it?
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

The black trime was optional on BOTH crown victorias and grand marquis. Don't shop for one model or the other's bumper based on that. You will find no guards at all (smooth), just the two vertical guards, or the guards and the rubber strips the width of the bumper on parts from both models.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

thats what i meant on the bumper.. just the 2 verticle ones.. if i cant find a bumper is it possible to just have my straightened or is it a lost cause? im more worried about the tail lights at this point
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

a good chroming company can straighten, shorten, fill holes, all that stuff, but it's not cheap. I think the best quote I got to just rechrome was 400+ bucks and it just went up from there. an NOS bumper can probably be had for under 200 shipped if you shop around. If it's kinked/folded, not just slightly tweaked/twisted, you'll probably need to rechrome to have it look halfway decent.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

In '82, the tail lights were not different between a grand marquis and marquis. In '83, they updated the tail lights and droped the "marquis" and "marquis brougham". All were just grand marquis or you could get the LS upgrade.

To answer your quiestion, its not as simple to do the swap. The metal panel that the lights bolt to, is different between the two. It can be done but, you need to do drilling and cutting. Unless you replace that panel from an '83-'87 grand marquis, its not a direct swap.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

shit.. good thing i didnt buy any.. either way im still only finding the tail lights from 83-87.. i havent found any from 79-82.. where are all the members on here finding them? im so lost. the bodyshop i took the car to for repair had a line on a place. but they were under snow and didnt know the condition of the parts. ...thats the only place ive found that even has parts for my year range

btw thanks for your input guys.. really appreciated

Comment

why are there only right side tail lights on ebay... what is this!!!?!?

Comment

$25-55 on car-part.com search 1980-up, USA (they can ship) some have chips and other notations such as lens only, but you should be able to find SOMETHING. car-part.com searches ALL the junkyards' inventory near and far, best of luck!
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Dang, there is a 84 GMQ at my local junkyard... 2 years older and it would have your lights...
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

HUUUGE thanks to potatoes for that one!... thx so much.. ive been lost ever since the accident on where to even start to look..

@85crown.. as luck would have it.. i have the model thats harder to find haha.. i would just go with light of a later year but but someone pointed out id have to do some drilling..

Comment

Like I said, there is another option if you are willing to do some cutting an welding. Someone here actually posted pics of a swap. The thread is here somewhere. The newer lights do look better but, the ones you have add nostalgia and originality

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Original FTW! There arent many early ones left, try and find the correct lights.

here is your drivers side, cheap! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tail-Light-L...64f3d1&vxp=mtr
                        Last edited by tjc78; 03-09-2013, 10:31 AM.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

ive looked at that exact one. problem is.. while my DR side is faded and chippedand needs replaced.. my passenger side.. although looks good.. the chrome trim is gone.. and im also in need of the license plate holder too.. i got rear ended and it broke that part. but the lights have looked crappy ever since i bought the car

Comment

Working...
                          X