Keep the 83 or 96?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep the 83 or 96?

As some of you know, I have my Brothers 83 at my house trying to get the transmission working right and installing a heater core. It's pretty clean although it's been re-painted at some point. Less rust than the 96. I need to sell one of them because of the baby on the way next month and I REALLY need the money.... I could get more for the 96 than the 93 but what are your opinions?
    Attached Files
    "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

I assume the reason you need to get rid of one car is the added expense a baby will be? One, you have NOOOO idea unless you already have a kid. If not, oh brother.... naw, it's not that bad. Diapers and formula suck, otherwise if the kid is healthy it's all good. Back to the point:

The cars. One is a 1983, one is a 1996. As a responsible adult (again I am assuming LOL) you would want to keep the car with the best record of reliability, the one that costs less overall and is the better runner of the two. You need reliability to get your butt to work and your kiddo to doctor appointments and his/her job in the coalmine. If you like the cars equally, go with reliability and which one requires the least work. In most cases, I'd rather have a 1996 with a kiddo at home over an antique. But thats just my opinion. Well, you asked for it LOL!!!
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Comment

keep the box of course
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

That 96 will most likely be more reliable.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88
          That 96 will most likely be more reliable.
          :stupid: Although if the 96 is pretty well worn and the 83 has low miles and is good to go, [after the tranny and heater core fix], it might be a better idea to keep the 83 for the time being.
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

83 is EEC III CFI, which can be bitchy and expensive to fix. Its also a foggy realm of mystery nobody knows much about. A 96 is nothing hard to figure out really, big problem there is that stupid plastic intake. Otherwise its a solid driveline. Early AODs are crappy, and the one on the 83 has already shit the bed. Heater cores also suck to install.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd keep the 96 because it probably gets better mileage, more reliable, and is safer, because it has airbags and ABS and other things. That's what i'd do. The next Panther I want to get is a 96+ PI, but yours is too far away and probably too expensive for me. My
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

My vote is for the '96.
                '03 300b MM (My pride and joy until 8/9/13 @129k)

Comment

in my opinion keep the 83,, the ones like the 96 from what i have seen tend to rot out a lot faster, from what i have seen anyway

Comment

if the box was 86-91, I'd say keep it, but in your case, I'd just keep the '96.
                    I'm not a big fan of aeros, but I have to agree with MissinVicin on this one.
                    If you were trying to decide which one ot keep as a project car...the Box is no question, cheaper and easier to mod.
                    but, as a father, you have to make sure that whatever you do from now on is in the best interest of your child.
                    sigpic
                    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                    X